Scott's new Tech Forum for Dish Network

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Since the pub discussion degenerated and then got closed, can we discuss this new Tech Forum here? I don't see the announcement here, though of course it's on Scott's radio broadcast so it's public knowledge.

I for one do not think it's bad news, nor do I believe Scott is going to start pulling punches or otherwise get compromised because of the $$$. So, I think it's all good news and might even result in more juicy rumors. The only downside I would worry about is Scott may not spend as much time here since he has 2 real jobs elsewhere. Furthermore, this site is bigger than just Scott, and includes most notably the mods and you and me. ;) We can all contribute.

Edited to add: how many mods are there and who are they?

Great! Will we have to be Dish Network subs (I am) to log on?

:eek: HACKER? :D:haha just kidding ya Krell
Interesting jest which was getting at my question. I was thinking that there might well be some legitimate questions by subs that they don't really want to ask when their login info is personally identifiable. Perhaps it's not a matter of hacking, but could be just embarrassment. If I could go there as TheKrell, rather than my real persona, then I might be more forthcoming or ask more unguarded questions. ;) For example, I can't imagine asking about "moving" on a Dish Network forum.

Last edited:
Yep, but there was a lot of conspiracy in the now-secured thread. I was ROFL on some of the comments although a few others made some jokes too.

But it helps all at the end of the day. Scott makes some $$ and E gets the expertise of his skills of setting up a good forum for their customers.

This is a major non-event. MAJOR!!!!

Please, some of the biggest media companies own local broadcast stations that produce local news. Whenever KABC reports on any matter involving the Disney corporation (including a number of stories that were not good news for Disney such as a death related to a ride at Disneyland or other mattes that are embarrassing to Disney) they always state at the end of the report, "Disney is the parent company of ABC7."

General Electric owns NBC and NBC news has reported embarrassing stories about GE. In fact, just about all of our news sources are owned by major corporations that do in fact have a conflict of interest with its news holdings--BUT the key is DISCLOSURE. Most often NBC coverage of GE is fair and sometimes tough. KABC's coverage of Disney holdings and controversies has always been fair, not too easy nor too tough. If such examples exist in much larger, more important matters, then I think that Scott is quite capable of continuing to be fair in postings regarding Dish Network. It can be done.

I would just add that I think it would be wise for a disclosure statement on the forum making it clear that Scott does have a relationship with Dish Network (people couldn't argue that such relationship was being hidden), then let the rest of us decide on our own how good and balanced the quality of information is on this forum. I think the world will survive the new arrangement. Don't you? I don't expect any negative changes on this forum. Glad to see Scott is able to continue to provide for his family. C'mon people. It isn't as if he is selling State Secrets to unfriendly nations.

Actually I was expecting to see this thread closed like mine was and I was supportive of the idea.

Scott = good

Echostar = Bad

I am more worried about the bad corrupting the good. But like I said before he earned my trust so I give scott as much rope he wants .

Since the pub discussion degenerated and then got closed, can we discuss this new Tech Forum here? I don't see the announcement here, though of course it's on Scott's radio broadcast so it's public knowledge.

I for one do not think it's bad news, nor do I believe Scott is going to start pulling punches or otherwise get compromised because of the $$$. So, I think it's all good news and might even result in more juicy rumors. The only downside I would worry about is Scott may not spend as much time here since he has 2 real jobs elsewhere. Furthermore, this site is bigger than just Scott, and includes most notably the mods and you and me. ;) We can all contribute.

Edited to add: how many mods are there and who are they?

In the bottom of the page you will find the names of the moderator
FTA section Iceburg
Dish Dfergie, rockymtnhigh

Scott, what is the difference between the "Dish Technical Discussion Forum" already existing at Sat Guys and your new forum.

This one is for people who normally don't use forums, and will be advertised by DISH for additional means of support.

Its going to be a lot more moderated so that people who are just starting out with DISH can find the solution to their problem quickly.

Here at SatelliteGuys is we are GREAT at helping people with their issues, but after their issues are solved then many threads go off topic... that's something we are trying to avoid on the new site... again to make it easy for folks to get their problem solved.

A lot more moderated? I sure hope you aren't alone over there to police 14 million irate subs!

I believe that most Dish subs are not irate. I am not.
Well, neither am I, but I suspect we're a more elite crowd around here. I didn't really mean "14 million" either; that was hyperbole of which I am the Universal Master. ;) But if even 1 million subs show up, irate or not, Scott will need a lot of help moderating the place.

Wow

Well, neither am I, but I suspect we're a more elite crowd around here. I didn't really mean "14 million" either; that was hyperbole of which I am the Universal Master. ;) But if even 1 million subs show up, irate or not, Scott will need a lot of help moderating the place.

Didn't even know anyone around here could even spell hyperbole not less use it correctly. :D:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)