Scott's Review of DISH's Hopper with Sling

GregE: I hear you. If you are starting again with all new high end equipment you may want to consider the $7/mo warranty for a month or two until you get the bugs out. When the 722/922 and slings were new, I had equipment problems, both times, a tech was dispatched the same day, new equipment was programmed for me, minor install changes were done for free, extra premium channels were provided for free for 3 months. I cancelled the warranty, now its a mail swap, your down for quite awhile, and your on your own for everything or pay $$$ for service call. I swear, it's almost like I'm dealing with a different company now. I think when I upgrade again, I may take it for a short time. It can get pricey, with equipment upgrade costs, service calls, etc! Perhaps other folks have had a different experience...

Long time lurker here as well, since I had my mother move in, our Dish system of 19 years is in need for an upgrade, we have one 722HD with its own router(wifi), and the 625 (SD)
The bill runs around $140 a month, and I am tired of getting these dish and or direct tv deals for the latest equipment and lower fees! I spent 45 mins on the phone and just as I was getting ready to say come and get your equipment as I was considering switching to Direct TV and she came back and said I can fix the bill so it is around $118 a month for ten months and then you would have to call back in, and we will give you Hopper W/Sling, and two joeys.... So I think I did okay, or didn't I?

Scott, I just had the hopper w/sling installed on Friday the 2nd. My question to you are all of your apps working ? I can't get several of mine working and I have been on the phone with tech support for several hours and also internet support and no one knows what to do. My wifi signal is 98 and blockbuster works fine. Anything you can do to help would greatly appreciated. One tech said they might have to replace the hopper. Thank you !!

Scott, I just had the hopper w/sling installed on Friday the 2nd. My question to you are all of your apps working ? I can't get several of mine working and I have been on the phone with tech support for several hours and also internet support and no one knows what to do. My wifi signal is 98 and blockbuster works fine. Anything you can do to help would greatly appreciated. One tech said they might have to replace the hopper. Thank you !!

It took 4 days for all my apps to go hot.

I don't know what they did, but now can get 40mbps download for vod instead of topping out around 18. Internet has remained consistent.

My complaint so far for the HWS is no 5ghz band. With the bandwidth limitations of 2.4ghz channels, and throughput (though distance issues may arise if too far from 5ghz router)....I'd think they would've added a chip that would do 2.4ghz and 5ghz both. If you don't have a strong enough signal on 5, then use 2.4ghz...but at least have the ability built-in.

I'm obviously on the HWS, so I don't know if the USB wifi offers 5ghz or not.

My complaint so far for the HWS is no 5ghz band. With the bandwidth limitations of 2.4ghz channels, and throughput (though distance issues may arise if too far from 5ghz router)....I'd think they would've added a chip that would do 2.4ghz and 5ghz both. If you don't have a strong enough signal on 5, then use 2.4ghz...but at least have the ability built-in.

I'm obviously on the HWS, so I don't know if the USB wifi offers 5ghz or not.
5Ghz should be there. I've never had my wireless connected on either HWS, but both see my 5ghz access points. The USB adapter is also dual band. Both are N, not AC.

5Ghz should be there. I've never had my wireless connected on either HWS, but both see my 5ghz access points. The USB adapter is also dual band. Both are N, not AC.
You are absolutely correct...I was wrong and I'm sorry for the mistake. I went back and looked at my HWS wifi, I could've sworn it was only 2.4ghz that I saw when I set it up. It was Christmas eve when I installed it, so I was pre-occupied that day and wasn't paying attention like I should've been I suppose.

I moved mine to the 5ghz band just now, hopefully the bandwidth issues I've been seeing will go away now, as it's been sluggish on some of the apps like Netflix and other.