Scott's Take on VOOM

Good eval.

Still, though, has anyone seen the service yet? That is the real data...have someone tell us what is on the 10 movie channels and if the other HD channels really are continuous loops.

I would hope that they didn't put this much investment and planning into a new service just to play garbage all day long. It is clear that they know HD content and the quantity of it is their key differentiator and if they have all quantity and little quality they won't survive.

So, at this point I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.

Regarding the slim SD content...well, same thing I suppose. They are just launching and I'm sure they had a target date to meet and it has to be tough to work out all the channel arrangements by that time, so, we'll see what they come up with and it may take some time before they can compete with E* and DTV on that channel lineup.

Now, what I didn't like is no PVR option. I guess you can buy one from someone else.

Either way, VOOM is GREAT for the market. More competition is good and we should see more HD offerings or better pricing as a result from our existing provider. So, I probably won't lay out the cash needed for the VOOM hardware, but I'll still benefit from it! :)

-todd

10 Channels of HD content that rotates their programming a good bit is better than 30 Channels of HD content that does not rotate their programming but plays the same thing 2 or 3 times a day. It reminds me of some of the Discovery Channels like Discovery Science for example. They do this a good bit because of the lack of content for the channel.

simplicity

I think the 'HD' add-on would be a good idea if it were not for the extreme complexity such a situation would present.

If we assume that VOOM really is posistioning themselves to capitalize on the HD set expansion predicted going forward (and that would explain their placement in Sears, as Sears moves to a higher mix of HD sets on display and for sale), then they are likely to be picking up subscribers who are not on the early adopter curve.

These subscribers will not tolerate a system that requires switching among tuners and guides.

In order for any adjunct service to work in the early mature market that probably represents the typical VOOM subscriber, they would have to figure out a way to unify the tuning and guides and run it all through a single interface.

Basically, I think that's why they have to do SD 'basic cable' service in addition to HD. The integration problem with other equipment would never be solved for the audience they are targetting.

If people are going to spend $749 on Voom then some might as well get HDTV from C-Band if they offer a lot of HD content (unless you dont want a BUD in the yard to look at or to deal with installing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)