Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well last night another Tech Chat came and went. I would like to thank EVERYONE who joined us for the chat last night! We had quite a turnout and gave away some very good prizes courtesy of SatelliteGuysStore.COM!

I must admit I was not really excited going in to last nights chat but that's because I knew mostly what they were going to talk about. If you are a daily SatelliteGuys reader you will notice that most of the main information discussed last night has been posted here for awhile now.

I did not care for the CEDIA segment of the show, it was too long and it didn't even feature any Echostar stuff, hell at least they could have shown the 921 working and the Dish HDTV sets.

I was very disapointed that we had no breif demo of each unit, after all I have used ALL of the new products and I know they work. Hell if they would have let me bring my video camera to Baltimore I could have shot a short 2 to 3 min demo and edited it and sent it there way. :)

I was very happy that last night it seems as though the Call Screeners were out for the Columbus Day Holiday and some good questions got on the show. I do wish however that the show was longer so that more questions could be asked. I love the fact that when someone throws a hardball Dave is not affraid to tackle the question and he does it openly and honestly.

I know many people are upset about the delay of the 921, I am as anxious at the next guy for mine. :D When I played with the 921 I felt it was almost ready for primetime, it did have some minor quirks which they are working hard to fix before the release. Many people keep saying these delays are forcing them to jump to DirecTV, my question to these folks are what are you jumping to? When you get to DirecTV will you have a HD DVR to use? As always my motto of good things come to those that wait sticks. :)

So I give the show a thumbs in the middle, there was so much they could have done in the time they had but for some reason they didn't. Television is a great medium, but last nights show was more like reading a newspaper then watching a TV show. They really need to show their products in action, give a little demo get people excited about the upcoming products. Oh and they need to keep Scott the interactive guy off the show... Or at least leave the dumb Charlie jokes out. :)

Thats my thoughts on last night's show... Let's hear your thoughts!

Hey, the price of the 811 didn't go up another $100 either. I give the show a thumbs up.

Yeah, we knew everything in advance, be we are geeks and thats to be expected. Can't be surprised as much as we were last month.

I'm as bummed as the next guy about the 921, but I have to say that I am interested in the "possible existing customer deals" they mentioned would be discussed in the next C Chat.

Can you say $799 921 with 1 year HD commitment and Autopay! :)

I'm wondering also about the customer deals.Should I cancel my order on the 921 and see what kind off deal were going to get?

Last night's tech chat

Stay tuned next chat for more info...

Wasn't this chat supposed to be dedicated exclusively to HD? I expected to see (as Scott said) product demos, and firm release and order dates --not "in time for the holidays"! Yes I am fed up with the delays, and ambiguous references to "we will be discussing that during the next chat". And still, yes, we wait. What other option do we have? No other DBS service has an HD PVR (though they may by the time the 921 is actually released!). I simply wish DISH would give us firm dates for the release of their new products, demo the features we will be buying and try hard to be honest about any delays. Then I could believe they were sincere. This whole superdish, 921, dp44 thing is a mess that could have been avoided. Tune in next chat for possible solutions...

I'm as bummed as the next guy about the 921, but I have to say that I am interested in the "possible existing customer deals" they mentioned would be discussed in the next C Chat.

I'm sure I heard Charlie say something similar, but in the September Charlie Chat, to tune in October for some "specials" for customers on the new HD receivers, the 811 and 921. I was waiting to hear about the specials for the 811 and 921, but heard nothing in this months (October) chat.

Well, there is always, tune in next month, and find out more.... :)

Meanwhile, I'm so happy with the quality of my picture on my 6000u I recently picked up. The HD is stunning ! (Now if only 781 hadn't messed up my and others remotes.)

I am disappointed their was no mention of the 522 and only a brief accidental mention of the 322. I will be interested to see what kind of deal E* has for us with old STB's like the 2000 that are not SuperDish campatible. Over all it was a good show.

I agree that they need to use the tech forums to show off their new products. Showing JUST a picture of a new product just doesn't do it. People want to see the screen menus and the the actual operation of the product. If they are afraid that the product would crash during the live show they could pretape that portion of the show.

I also agree that Scott (the interactive guy) piece was in bad taste. We want a demo of the interactive product not "let's make fun of Charlie again" joke.

I also think that DISH needs to re-broadcast the Tech Forums and Charlie Chats more often on channel 101. It would be nice if channel 101 showed a list of the re-bradcast times often so people would know when it is on. Quite frankly, I think that DISH does a poor job with channel 101 (not the content, the AMOUNT of content). It could be used for much more than it is now.

pvr

You can bet that when pvr becomes a critical mass (instead of mess) that Micro$oft will step in and provide a comprehensive integrated PC based solution allowing scable HD storage, number of tuners, TVs, etc.

E* just can't handle complex software development they would much rather resell programming.

I also think that DISH needs to re-broadcast the Tech Forums and Charlie Chats more often on channel 101. It would be nice if channel 101 showed a list of the re-bradcast times often so people would know when it is on.

Dish does do a lot of rebroadcasts of the Chats. Check this out:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/customercare/CChat_ReBrdcstSchedule.pdf[/quote]

My guess is that the reason they did not talk about the 322/522, is that current plans have these going into DHP only.

ride 525 said "I'm sure I heard Charlie say something similar, but in the September Charlie Chat, to tune in October for some "specials" for customers on the new HD receivers, the 811 and 921. I was waiting to hear about the specials for the 811 and 921, but heard nothing in this months (October) chat."

I was sure I heard the same thing. I was dissapointed when nothing was mentioned. We already knew about most of the prices they mentioned and there were no "special" deals included. It seems like everything is always "next month".

All in all, not a bad Tech Chat IMO. Certainly better than the recent CC's and TC's.

I agree with Scott that we could have done without the CEDIA segment, and the Interactive guy (again) and used that time more productively.

On balance, I felt that Dave and Mark tried very hard to get through a lot of material, and I thought the questions, and their answers were very good. Even when I didn't like the answers they gave.

I would have liked to see a demo of the 921.

Well done Mark and Dave.

And also my thanks to Scott for the online chat. Once the TC started, I couldn't watch both the computer screen and the TV. So I begged off of the online until it was over. But great job by everyone.

Now if I could only see a 921 in my equipment cabinet!

I was impressed by the caliber of questions that got through the screener. Dave had some tough ones to answer and he didn't skirt any of them. He even fielded a question about name-based and actually gave us a glimmer of hope (I think this was the first time that name-based was ever mentioned on a chat!). They didn't talk about Internet on the 721, but overall there was a lot of content. The Tech Forums are usually much more informative than the Charlie Chats. Too bad we only get 4 of these per year!

dinkster said:
I agree with Scott that we could have done without the CEDIA segment, and the Interactive guy (again) and used that time more productively.

DITTO! They right off the start that this is a technical chat to no programming type questions then they spend time demonstrating a 'programming' service. If you want to give a technical chat then keep it technical Dish and hype your programming on the Charlie Chat where it belongs.

JosephF said:
My guess is that the reason they did not talk about the 322/522, is that current plans have these going into DHP only.

Humph. My obtaining a 522 will be delayed then... I have no interest in the DHP whatsoever.

They used to show the rebroadcast dates at the end of the chats but I have not seen them do this for a while.

Also I see them avoiding the 322 and 522 receivers as a bad sign as if they were told specifically not to mention anything about those receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts