Scott's Video: Hopper Demo - Did they slow it down?

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I realize this is from a year and a half ago and that it's a Hopper 2000, but on the demo, they scroll through the guide very fast. Mine does not scroll quite that fast. At 2:45, Mr. Khemka says, "we are actually maybe trying to slow it down so we can read this stuff." I initially thought the comment was tongue in cheek, but I was wondering if they did, in fact, slow it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did. I wish they didn't. Then again the HWS is almost as fast as the demo.

They've added a lot of functionality since then, which can slow things down.

Plus, I swear the Dish engineers are just a garage full of amateurs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Just curious is your separate account at a different address. I asked and they said that I could not have a separate account at the same address.

Good grief. The mentality. They intentionally diminished their own product. I find the slower scroll speed of my Hopper a NEGATIVE. People want to see stuff move or scroll FAST, not slow. We will read at the end of the page scroll. We just want to get to the next page ASAP, thank you. Also, the psychological effect can be significant. People are more impressed and have a better opinion of a product the FASTER things move and occur. Please, Dish, put it back the FAST way it was.

You couldn't read it at that speed. Sure it would be cool to have the guide go that fast, but if you can't read it then what's the point.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

But Scott, you often need to get to the bottom of the list or half way down. So long as you can stop within a page of seeing the item that you want, it is good. They could have offered a go to end/start buttons but the faster scroll is more versatile. The HwS is faster than the H2000, good.

They need to fix the priority setting--punching the button on the edit timer page once for each step is dumb. It should at least auto repeat if you hold it down.

In DVR/red/Timers/Edit Action/Priority/select/Move to Last, it can take a long time to work through the shuffling especially when you have many changes to make. They should note the changes, go on and allow more changes. Then when the Save is done, they can resolve all the effects. In fact it can take so long that it times out and assumes no change is to be made.

I'm doing a lot of priority moving as the 576 event limit with many new program is annoying. It says I am out of timers when I have only 80 say, it is out of events!

-Ken

Coming from Directv some of you have no idea how good you have it. :) After a few months I'm still blown away by the performance of the hopper with sling. Nothing is perfect but I always did love Dish hardware and the hopper reminds why that is......

You couldn't read it at that speed. Sure it would be cool to have the guide go that fast, but if you can't read it then what's the point.

How often do people try to read it while it's scrolling? I always wait for it to stop scrolling then read. The scrolling effect is just eye candy. Faster scrolling = getting where you want to go faster.

Coming from Directv some of you have no idea how good you have it. :) After a few months I'm still blown away by the performance of the hopper with sling. Nothing is perfect but I always did love Dish hardware and the hopper reminds why that is......

True, Dish hardware is still some of the best out there, I just get perturbed when I get menu crashes, random reboots, slowdowns, etc. with no end in sight. Granted, they're not too terribly often, but they still need to be fixed. Not just in the Dish fashion where they fix one thing and break two others, but actually fixed.

How often do people try to read it while it's scrolling? I always wait for it to stop scrolling then read. The scrolling effect is just eye candy. Faster scrolling = getting where you want to go faster.
Precisely. I want it to breeze by in a blur and to stop when I take my finger off the button. My PS3 does that when I'm scrolling through multiple video files. I want the guide to scroll like it does in the demo video. But truthfully, if that's my only complaint, they must be doing something right. My original post was really just asking if maybe my box was slower than normal since it didn't do what the video showed it could do. Now I understand they slowed it down. I just wish they hadn't.

Yes. But, now that they've added features and other stuff that have slogged it down, they could remove that original throttling, and bring it back to initial release speeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts