Screen display modes with the 811 on 4x3 tv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TSilverX5

Original poster
May 15, 2004
Hi,

I've been using the 811 for a couple of weeks now, and still haven't been able to figure out how to get the non-HD OTA/dish channels (e.g. Fox, CNN) maximize the real-estate on my 4x3 tv (Sony 61" RP).

HD channels display fine with the expected black bars on the top and bottom. But, the non-HD signals display bars on the left and right as well as top and bottom, in a "squarish" pattern on the screen in "Normal" mode. Of course, toggling display modes the Aspect/format button allows me to switch to a "Full Zoom" mode which does cut out some scan lines from the top and bottom, as expected.

I'm wondering if there is any way for the non-HD signals to fully maximize the screen real-estate in "Normal" mode by expanding some more to the corners of the screen?

Comments/feedback?

Thanks!

(BTW, I've set the 811 to o/p 1080i with 4x3-mode#1)

The only way I was able to overcome this limitation on my 4x3 Toshiba was to feed it a composit signel from my 811 or 6000 to fill the screen when viewing 'normal' dish signals.
HD always has the black bars top and bottom.
BTW, this is the main reason I preferred the 811 over the 6000. The 811 feeds both outputs all the time so I didn't have to remember to switch the receiver when going from SD to HD and back.

Thanks for the update.

Been playing around with the settings a bit more, and I just realized that what I could do is probably set up a macro with my remote to toggle between 1080i and 480p (through Menu-6-1-9) to switch between HD/SD feeds. This way, the digital feed is still preserved. Would be great if the 811 had a toggle setting to achieve the same result.

TSilverX5 said:
Thanks for the update.

Been playing around with the settings a bit more, and I just realized that what I could do is probably set up a macro with my remote to toggle between 1080i and 480p (through Menu-6-1-9) to switch between HD/SD feeds. This way, the digital feed is still preserved. Would be great if the 811 had a toggle setting to achieve the same result.

That's precisely what I do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts