Screen Saver Shutoff ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcowboy7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Pequannock, NJ
is there anyway to shutoff the dtv screen saver....for example if i hav a directv xm music channel on and i dont change the channel then after about 10 minutes the directv screen saver logo comes up knocking out title/artist....i know about the screen burn stuff but is there anyway to set it so that this screen saver doesnt come up evr....oh and i have the h20-100 if that matters....thx

I wondered this same thing and did a search on this forum for "screen saver". It appears at this point anyway, that there is no way to defeat the screen saver on default for the HR-20.

yea i had looked in search and saw sum people ask the same question last year....just figured with more people here now maybe sum1 figured out a solution since then....guess not.

but if i turn off the tv then i cant see the title/artist info.

Or maybe just press a button - any button - when a song comes on that you don't know and the screen saver goes away for another 5-10 minutes. The screen saver is there to, well, save your screen. :p

I don't spend much time on the music channels anymore, at least not in the last 6-12 months, so I genuinely don't know, but is there any changing visual data being displayed while the music is playing, aside from the title/artist info bar? If so, how is that not considered un-paused visual data. It seems that if there is changing visual content on the screen, the screen saver wouldn't kick in. :confused:

Or maybe just press a button - any button - when a song comes on that you don't know and the screen saver goes away for another 5-10 minutes. The screen saver is there to, well, save your screen. :p

I don't spend much time on the music channels anymore, at least not in the last 6-12 months, so I genuinely don't know, but is there any changing visual data being displayed while the music is playing, aside from the title/artist info bar? If so, how is that not considered un-paused visual data. It seems that if there is changing visual content on the screen, the screen saver wouldn't kick in. :confused:

but:
1 - trying not to hit a button every 5 minutes....thats like saying i dont really need a remote control.... i could just change channels on the actual tv controls instead....but who does that.

2 - i tape music channels sumtimes so tv isnt even on to get burn....just taping for viewing later....so couldnt hit a button anyway.

3 - there is paused visual data which does kick in the screen saver after 5-10 minutes.

thanks anyway....ironically im the one here thats burned.....lol

but:
1 - trying not to hit a button every 5 minutes....thats like saying i dont really need a remote control.... i could just change channels on the actual tv controls instead....but who does that.

2 - i tape music channels sumtimes so tv isnt even on to get burn....just taping for viewing later....so couldnt hit a button anyway.

3 - there is paused visual data which does kick in the screen saver after 5-10 minutes.

thanks anyway....ironically im the one here thats burned.....lol

confused on point #2...if the tv is not on when you are watching, what does it matter? And are we talking about the XM channels? I wasn't aware that you could record the XM channels (that's pretty cool :) ). And even if you are watching recorded programming, the same rules apply to "paused" tv. So the same results would occur when you use the remote control. Live or recorded programming still goes to screen saver if paused for 5-10 minutes to help prevent burn-in.

And on point #1, no one is asking you to walk over to the TV and use those controls...just keep the remote handy, and when a song comes on that you aren't familiar with, pick it up and press any button (except POWER) and the screen saver goes bye-bye. I assume that you are in the same room while this music is playing (whether through your home theater or not). And if your not in the same room, why have the tv on at all?

I understand that we all want different improvements in our electronic devices (better battery life, better range on cell phone, etc), so share your concerns with the folks at D*. Call the Tech Support line and voice your opinion. If enough people who share your concerns call in, maybe they will develop a customizable element of the UI that allows you to change the delay or turn off the screen saver altogether. If you don't share your concerns, they may never know that this is something that needs addressing.

But until then, how hard can be to just tap a button as needed? ;)

1 - u can tape xm channels.
2 - when tv is not i am still taping....so i still want title/artist.
3 - im lazy....lol....dont wanna hit button (actually twice) every 5 minutes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)