Screwed up my homes Sat System on Thanksgiving, now I'm in hot water!!

Ditto that Van I hate stupid customers that think they have a cable system. The worst is he got the receiver from DISH so he should have also gotten a free install under dishin it up.

Cool it. He asked us for help, and he admitted he didn't do things right. Give him a break. There was a time we didn't know anything about this stuff either.

First off let me say it wont work correctly with a splitter though you seem to think it does. 2nd, while I will say that the answers to your previous questions were somewhat someass you dont seem to want to listen either. 3rd, if you really have 2 seperate cables going into your 622 and one going to your other receiver in room A that means you must either have a DP34 or a quad LNB. If so all you need to do is run a new RG6 coxial line to the switch or lnb, run checkswitch and your done. It doesnt matter what TP you run a checkswitch on by the way. Some are better than others for peaking but it will not change the checkswitch results.

Thanks, I'll climb up on the roof tomorrow and figure out what I really have. I was just going by the "info" screen on the 622.

I now understand that I cannot "split" a sat cable. I did ask dish about this when I was activating the 3rd receiver and the woman on the phone indicated that if Dish sent me the box I must be able to use it, because if I couldn't they wouldn't have just sent it to me like that. So w/e I appreciate your help man.

However, if I run it like this Sat on roof >> Splitter >>cable a goes to receiver 1 >>> cable b goes to receiver 2 - everything works ok on the Receiver 2, as long as you have receiver 1 on and you don't change the channel :)

However, if I run it like this Sat on roof >> Splitter >>cable a goes to receiver 1 >>> cable b goes to receiver 2 - everything works ok on the Receiver 2, as long as you have receiver 1 on and you don't change the channel :)

Thats because when you change the channel the receivers are trying to get channels on different polarities and transponders at the same time.

The only time a splitter will work for a satellite signal is, as has been pointed out, when both receivers are on the same satellite and polarity (though polarity might not be an issue if it's dishpro). The fact that both receivers are sending switch commands and voltage might eventually (or quickly) damage something though.

I'd be calling Dish Network up asking for that install that was supposed to be included with the Dish'n It Up promo.

No splitters. You don't listen very well.

You don't read or comprehend your reading very well. I was talking about my CURRENT (the one that only half works) setup. And was wondering why it works sometimes, thankfully the poster below you brought something more to the table than you did.

You don't read or comprehend your reading very well. I was talking about my CURRENT (the one that only half works) setup. And was wondering why it works sometimes, thankfully the poster below you brought something more to the table than you did.

Don't mind him, J3ff;

He's new to this forum and lacks patience. He's got the young KNOW IT ALL syndrone. Take him for what he is..........

We are all here to listen, help and learn. Yes, at one time we ALL knew nothing...........

No offense was intended but honestly it is a good idea to have someone come in that knows what needs to be done to install a box. With cable you can use splitters to split the line but with satellite splitters are used but only in a limited fashion and not for splitting the raw signal to the recievers. Dish has a line of receivers that uses something called a diplexer and it has to be done in pairs, it looks like a splitter but its not and in the set up of the dual tuners that use these diplexers you can also use splitters in pairs but only to splitter the tv 2 output and or to relocate the antenna for tv 2 if theres an issue with signal reception of the remote to the box.

A point to consider is this, if you dont know how to work on a car do you try to do it anyways? Same thing can be said for replacing your furnace or hotwater tank or doing your own dental work for that matter. I can do all but the last because I've been trained in these things and others but I sure wont try to do my own dental work.

Note: I never called the OP stupid, he's not stupid if he is here talking about his problem wich I failed to take the time to work on solving with him so in that I could be considered the stupid one as was ( is ) the person that quoted me and took the liberty of referring to him as such in an indirect way.

The best part of this thread is, this wouldn't be a 5 minute hook up for a pro. They have to swap the LNB, mount up a 34 switch, run a line to the new reciever, and run ANOTHER line to the 622. Talk about dropping a duece. :eek: I think there's a dog running around there looking for the Preparation H. :D

He has a 1000.2.

All he needs to do is put a seperator on the back of the 622, hook one of the cables from the dish to the 622, and redirect the second cable from the back of the 622 to the new reciever.

No splitters, no new switches needed.

Why the 622 was connected with two lines in the first place is also a mystery, it only needs one.

He has a 1000.2.

All he needs to do is put a seperator on the back of the 622, hook one of the cables from the dish to the 622, and redirect the second cable from the back of the 622 to the new reciever.

No splitters, no new switches needed.

Why the 622 was connected with two lines in the first place is also a mystery, it only needs one.

Where did you get that from? I see where he asks what a 1000.2 is, but not where he mentions having one. It looks like he is up north and you are in texas, didja take a roadtrip? I also didn't see where he said there were 2 cables going to that 622. He said, as a matter of fact:

The switch is a DPP Twin

Its in post #3.

The best part of this thread is, this wouldn't be a 5 minute hook up for a pro. They have to swap the LNB, mount up a 34 switch, run a line to the new reciever, and run ANOTHER line to the 622. Talk about dropping a duece. :eek: I think there's a dog running around there looking for the Preparation H. :D

Sure it would be 5 mins for a pro, but part of the reason why I don't want that is because I work 7:30 - 5:30 monday -friday and usually do fun stuff during my weekends - right now it just seems it'd be easier for me to do it myself, and I like learning new things and how technology works.

Also- I don't want to make some "pro" come out and have to do all this little crappy work when I can do it myself with the help from you guys :)

Sure it would be 5 mins for a pro, but part of the reason why I don't want that is because I work 7:30 - 5:30 monday -friday and usually do fun stuff during my weekends - right now it just seems it'd be easier for me to do it myself, and I like learning new things and how technology works.

J3ff - I may be wrong, but I think he was implying it would NOT be 5 mins - even for a pro. This sounds like a lot of work for anyone - even a pro (you figure it takes close to 5 minutes to unload, setup and reload the ladder). I know when I recently upgraded to HD, the "simple" install ended up taking all afternoon and it still isn't done. I even ended up doing about 1/2 the work myself to help the installer out (pulling cable through the attic and basement and digging the trench out to the pole). Incidentally, the installer was very grateful for the help.

I think you hit the nail on the head why so many people try to "do it themselves". The so-called "free" install is far from free when you end up having to take a day off work (in my case two, because the installer was running about 6 hours late and had to make a return trip - not his fault - he was way overbooked for the work he had to do). It is also a good learning experience - personally I enjoy doing this kind of stuff, but I do know enough to leave the complex stuff to the "pros". :)

For now it's ok sister is coming back home till xmas vacation, so i've got some time.

Anyone know a cheap place to get some coax from? :)

Here's the real deal.

I want 3 receivers in my house.

1 622 Vip
2 311's
I want them all to have their own lines.

Right now I think I have a dp34 up top on the roof, I'll check that out tomorrow. However, Dish also left me another dp34 from the last time I had them (years ago).

So According to every1 here each receiver needs it's own line, FINE.

Now when I look at the picture on the dp34, it looks like you can daisy chain two of them together, and that seems to me like it would solve my problem.

That means I'd have two switches up on my roof and enough lines down into the house.

However on this dp34 I see FOUR outputs. 2 are taken by the 622, and one by the 311, can I use the fourth for my second 311? :) does that make sense.

On your receiver's remote, push MENU; 6; 1; 1. Then CHECK SWITCH. Don't run the check switch routine. Just look at your results in the SWITCH box. If that has a 34 switch (DP34) just run one line from the switch to the new receiver location. You should then be FINE.

For now it's ok sister is coming back home till xmas vacation, so i've got some time.

Anyone know a cheap place to get some coax from? :)

Here's the real deal.

I want 3 receivers in my house.

1 622 Vip
2 311's
I want them all to have their own lines.

Right now I think I have a dp34 up top on the roof, I'll check that out tomorrow. However, Dish also left me another dp34 from the last time I had them (years ago).

So According to every1 here each receiver needs it's own line, FINE.

Now when I look at the picture on the dp34, it looks like you can daisy chain two of them together, and that seems to me like it would solve my problem.

That means I'd have two switches up on my roof and enough lines down into the house.

However on this dp34 I see FOUR outputs. 2 are taken by the 622, and one by the 311, can I use the fourth for my second 311? :) does that make sense.

Perfect sense! Run the line to the 311, perform the check switch, check signal strengths for each sat (I'm assuming 119, 110, and 129 in your area) until you have a lock on each, cancel out and the receiver will do a download if needed and you'll soon be watching tv.:)

Sir, Forget about the splitter. Throw it away. A splitter will not work. The dish is sending a digitally encrypted signal to the receiver. The receiver will not be able to get all of the information from the signal if split. May work for a bit but assured it will soon go down on you. Now on the back of your 622 you said there is 2 lines comming in, Are they 2 dedicated lines or are they seperated by a seperator?, The seperator is silver and has 2 dish's pictured on it. If there is a seperator then you have a Dish Pro Plus LND of some sort. Possibly a dish 1000 with a switch or a Dish 1000.2 with no switch. If there is a switch it would be a SW44 switch or if you have a dish 1000.2 then you have no switch. In any event you are looking for an open port to the switch or LNB (the plastic eyes on the dish) To have everything working fine you need a dedicated cable ran from your new receiver to the switch or lnb. You will see on the switch to receiver outputs, Connect directly to an open port. If you do not have a switch, You will have to unscrew the LNB and connect to an open port. At the end of the dish there will be 2 screws under the LNB, unscrew them to access the LNB, There you will find the available ports to connect to.
Lets back up for a second. When I mentiond the satellite seperator, I do not want you to confuse that with a splitter. It may look like a splitter but there is a BIG difference. Again you may not have a seperator if you have 2 dedicated cables to your 622.
If you need dish to come out, You may or may not be charged for the service. Depends on who you talk to. I do feel that you have the knowledge and the hands on know how to do this yourself. Some mistakes do it yourselfers make are buying rg-59 cable screw on connectors from places like radio shack. Please make sure you buy RG6 cable if you need cable. Hint: if you see a Dish/direct or cable truck or van most of the time they will sell you some cable and put the connectors on for you. Or they may even come help you for a pre determined side job fee (I didn't tell you that) I know I would jump at that chance.
In any event, Just go slow and take your time. Remember, Satellite is best thought of like running water, The water (signal) must travel to the sink (your receiver) through the pipes (your cable) with no interuptions. If there is a leak (splitters) your carpet gets wet!!..( sorry, That was gay)

Hope this helps.