Sd And 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Seadoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
I now have my 921 and 501 hooked up. I have the HD of 921 through component in digital Input 1 and the SD in through S video for both units going through INPUTS 3 and 4 of my Hitachi 65S700. It is obvious to me that the SD signal on the 921 is much worse than that of the 501. Is this inherent in the 921 or do I have a possible bad 921 or is there some tweaking I need to do on the 921? The 921 when upconverting SD channels is ok, but I also have to send this signal to my other, non HD tvs and therefore I have to send the signal out at 480i and that is where the picture quality really gets bad.

If have to watch SD through my 501 that is doable but it will be a pain for anybody else trying to figure this mess of remotes, wires and switches I have.

Would appreciate any comments or references to other threads that address this issue.

Thanks

Seadoo said:
I now have my 921 and 501 hooked up. I have the HD of 921 through component in digital Input 1 and the SD in through S video for both units going through INPUTS 3 and 4 of my Hitachi 65S700. It is obvious to me that the SD signal on the 921 is much worse than that of the 501. Is this inherent in the 921 or do I have a possible bad 921 or is there some tweaking I need to do on the 921? The 921 when upconverting SD channels is ok, but I also have to send this signal to my other, non HD tvs and therefore I have to send the signal out at 480i and that is where the picture quality really gets bad.

If have to watch SD through my 501 that is doable but it will be a pain for anybody else trying to figure this mess of remotes, wires and switches I have.

Would appreciate any comments or references to other threads that address this issue.

Thanks

Could it be that your TV picture settings are different between the two SD inputs? Try trading the S-Video inputs between the 501 and 921 and see if that makes a difference.

I watch the SD channels through the HD 1080i outputs ( just stretched). I find the color is better through the HD outputs. That might be because the HD input on my tv is calibrated better.

NOLAND:

Yes I have checked the settings on each input and have switched inputs. I agree with you that the SD are better when up converted to 1080i then when past through at 480i on my big tv. Problem is that I also send the output signals to my other tvs that can only handle the 480i, so if I want to watch the same program in two rooms they have to be in 480i.

The 921 at 480i is noticeably fuzzier around edges than 501. 501 is actually pretty good.

I hate to say this but if there is not a tweak then that means I use the 921 for HD only and fall back to the 501 for SD. Sad to say that for all the technology the 921 SD could not be better

Seadoo, I see your point. I haven't watched anything in 480i mode from the 921 so I cannot comment on the quality at the present time.

Noland:

Your comments made me go back and check everything again. Although I have switched the inputs I had not switched the cables. Also there was one set parameter in video 3 that was not checked for video 4. Combination of those two helped tremendously. 921 SD PQ a lot better. Thanks for the comments.

I feel much better about the 921, although the known bugs that E* is working on still cause me to reset to get rid of some of them. Right now it is worth it for the HD PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)