SD Lite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I was watching Law & Order CI tonite on USA on my 27" SD Sharp TV and was surprised to see jerkiness as the characters were moving around. Instead of 30 frames per second it is as if perhaps 5 or 10 frames were missing at times.

I have heard about HD Lite but didn't think that I would be able to notice the over compression on a non sports type program with little movement on a SD transmission viewed on my SD TV.

If I can notice this jerkiness on SD transmissions I guess I would be able to notice similar situations in HD assuming the compression is similar.

charper1 said:
How do we know it was compression versus a plain old transmission issue?

My reception numbers are good - maybe they are feeding extra bandwidth to TNT for the SD and HD transmission of the NBA playoffs.

Your signal strength meters could be pegged, but if the facility (either USA or DirecTV) was having a "burp or glitch" in the feed, your signal meters would not be effected, only the program itself. That is my question. If it was a bandwidth issue it should be almost non-stop, you would think. AKA not a loss of signal from the sat, but in the recording or video itself. You can have full sat signal with absolutely no video.

charper1 said:
If it was a bandwidth issue it should be almost non-stop, you would think. AKA not a loss of signal from the sat, but in the recording or video itself. You can have full sat signal with absolutely no video.

Well I was only able to notice the jerkiness occasionally but that perhaps is a function of the movement in the pictures.

The same also happens often on Star Trek TNG on SpikeTV. It can be quite annoying sometimes.

I have cable and DirecTV, and can do a side-by-side comparison between the two while watching SpikeTV and Star Trek. The jerking occurs on DirecTV only, while the motion is smooth on the cable feed.

I'm not sure where the issue is, but I hope DirecTV can do something about it.

But to play devil's advocate to that; how can you compare the transmission from SpikeTV to your cable company headend versus SpikeTV to the DirecTV or Dish Network, or any other cable headend? There can be many variables, even though I am sure they might all D/L from the same location. Just pointing out the possibilities.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)