SD NHL Playoffs on Versus

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
I was disappointed (again!) to see that Versus had last night's NHL playoff game (Stars/Sharks) in glorious SD only. They chose to have a repeat of the day's activities of a second level (not a major) golf tournament in HD, relegating the NHL playoff game to SD.

It really irks me that the NHL (i.e. Gary Bettman) sold out to Versus for a few $ more in the near term. Versus (and Bettman) are hurting the NHL in the long term with their second rate coverage of NHL playoffs.

I mean, if you aren't going to have the NHL playoffs in HD, why bother showing any of the season's games in HD? Bettman is getting what he deserves and unfortunately, we are suffering as well...

Comcast probably wouldn't let them use their HD cameras since it wasn't on Camcast's sports channel. Comcast is probably why we can't get the HD Local Sports channel on Dish.

I assume that you, like me, do not have a separate Vs. HD channel, have a shared Vs./Golf HD channel. Presumably Comcrap (who owns both networks) decided to show Golf instead of Vs on the shared channel.

I assume that you, like me, do not have a separate Vs. HD channel, have a shared Vs./Golf HD channel. Presumably Comcrap (who owns both networks) decided to show Golf instead of Vs on the shared channel.

Does Versus have a standalone HD channel? Maybe on D*?

I don't know whose fault it is, but the SD decision sucks. The NHL is mandating HD broadcasting of all NHL games (starting in 08/09?), yet they allow their main broadcasting unit to broadcast playoff games now in SD. You would think they would have covered that in their contract. I guess Bettman just saw the $ signs.

Versus paid a lot of $ for the contract, but they treat NHL game broadcasting at the same level as bull riding...

I don't know whose fault it is, but the SD decision sucks. The NHL is mandating HD broadcasting of all NHL games (starting in 08/09?), yet they allow their main broadcasting unit to broadcast playoff games now in SD. You would think they would have covered that in their contract. I guess Bettman just saw the $ signs.

Versus paid a lot of $ for the contract, but they treat NHL game broadcasting at the same level as bull riding...

Hopefully we will see Vs. give the NHL more prominence. According to Bettman, Versus got their highest ratings ever from Rangers/Pens Game 4.

GRB,

Versus is owned by Comcast, as is the Golf Channel. It is Comcast's decision to share the one HD Stream for both the GOLF Channel and VERSUS.

This is the first year that Versus has had ANY HD games on Thursday and Friday nights. Previous to this season the Versus NHL HD games on Thursday and Friday nights were only available on the inHD network (now called Mojo). The game on Versus this last Friday was the first NHL HD game this Playoff Season to be preempted for a GOLF Channel presentation of another program.

I'm surprised that we get any NHL HD games from Versus on Thursday or Friday, although I'm not complaining.

John

GRB,

Versus is owned by Comcast, as is the Golf Channel. It is Comcast's decision to share the one HD Stream for both the GOLF Channel and VERSUS.

This is the first year that Versus has had ANY HD games on Thursday and Friday nights. Previous to this season the Versus NHL HD games on Thursday and Friday nights were only available on the inHD network (now called Mojo). The game on Versus this last Friday was the first NHL HD game this Playoff Season to be preempted for a GOLF Channel presentation of another program.

I'm surprised that we get any NHL HD games from Versus on Thursday or Friday, although I'm not complaining.

John

My complaint is with the programming decision. A repeat of the broadcast of a second level non-major second round golf tournament pre-empting the HD presentation of a NHL playoff game makes no sense. If anyone wanted to see the golf in HD at that time, they could have recorded the live broadcast earlier in the day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)