SD Only

rgregj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Hello,

I am new to posting here, but I have been viewing threads for years. We currently do not have an HD TV in our house, but are looking at upgrading to one or two HD sets in the summer. Will the Hopper/Joey package work totally on SD platform. My viewing of the pictures suggest yes, but I want to make sure. I understand the Hopper/Joey does not have any COAX outputs and I have an RF modulator for one of the TV's. Just want to know if it will support SD throughout until I upgrade.

Thanks,

Yes.

Both Hopper and Joey have SD composite (NTSC) outputs. S-Video would provide better PQ than composite but neither box has this output.

Hopper also has analog component outputs that will probably work at SD rates. Both have HDMI outputs. Analog component and HDMI are not likely to be useful for SD TVs.

It should work, but if you're not ready to upgrade your TVs, why upgrade what feeds your TVs?

If the Hopper/Joey system is all that it promises to be, it will be available when you're ready. If it doesn't meet its promises (a la the ViP922) you may be glad you didn't.

I currently have a 510 DVR receiver and two 311's. Like the features of the hopper for DVR recording especially since I use a DVD-RW recorder for some of my recordings now.
I am also concerned about how long the $100 to upgrade offer would be present.

Thanks,

Both Hopper and Joey have SD composite (NTSC) outputs. S-Video would provide better PQ than composite but neither box has this output.

True, but most anyone who is concerned about the subtle differences between composite and s-video probably has HD already. Any SD set is probably 4 years+ old at this point, it would take a very discerning eye to pick up a PQ difference.

If you upgrade to the Hopper system you will need to subscribe to HD programming even though you do not have HDTVs. As long as you're willing to sign up for autopay and paperless billing it won't be a big deal.

We already do autopay and paperless so that is not an issue.

Thanks,

I have a 36" SDTV that accepts component. But I agree, that is rare. In great shape, used maybe once every week or two, mostly by my MiL so she can see the local stations with an EPG (DTV Pal - I'm grandfathered without locals). I'm beginning to wonder how I'm going to get rid of it.........

So do I need a Joey if I just want to send a feed to my SDTV? I want a Hopper and Joey for my HDTVs, but like to share my current TV2 output among several SDTVs in my house. Will that no longer be possible with the Hopper?

So do I need a Joey if I just want to send a feed to my SDTV? I want a Hopper and Joey for my HDTVs, but like to share my current TV2 output among several SDTVs in my house. Will that no longer be possible with the Hopper?
You should be able to use an RF modulator connected to Joey or Hopper composite output to feed the SD TVs via existing coax.

Neither Hopper nor Joey have a TV2 output that can show a different program. All of the outputs are active simultaneously but with the same program. This is similar to the ViP's "single" mode. If viewing the same program on all TVs in the house isn't an issue, a single Hopper would be adequate. If you want to view a different program you'd need one or more Joeys.

If I don't care that the other SDTVs get the DVR functionality, can I just connect them straight from my coax?

So let me see if I understand. The Hopper has 3 tuners, 1 would be used on the TV the Hopper is connected to, but you can't use the other tuners without a Joey?

So let me see if I understand. The Hopper has 3 tuners, 1 would be used on the TV the Hopper is connected to, but you can't use the other tuners without a Joey?

You can use all 3 tuners on the Hopper, but the Joey is the thin client box that uses the Hopper's tuners as well. There is no TV2 output on the Hopper like there is on the 722K, that is what the Joey is for.

You can use all 3 tuners on the Hopper, but the Joey is the thin client box that uses the Hopper's tuners as well. There is no TV2 output on the Hopper like there is on the 722K, that is what the Joey is for.

Thanks for the info. This is gonna be real expensive for me. Wish I could keep one of my 722's and have a Hopper too.

Remember no one is forcing you to upgrade to the Hopper / Joey system...

I know, but I really want HD in my other rooms and I want the whole home DVR. I have an unusual set up with 8 TVs in my house. I don't need all to have independent programming, but want them all to have TV. My 722 allows me to feed my other TVs and I just take the remote into the room I want to watch TV on. I was hoping the Hopper could do the same. I'll have to think twice before switching now.

It is possible to do similar, especially in SD. But is it worth the trouble? And cost? Only you can decide. That's a lot of TVs, and will require careful thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)