SD Resolution?

interd0g

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
miami
Anyone know what SD resolution we actually get , in dpi ?. I have to say the picture somewhat sucks, on close inspection. Probably compressed to death.

Mpeg-2 SD (western arc) used to be 544X480. I have no way of knowing what's being transmitted now, nor what mpeg-4 SD is. But IIRC it was only 480X480.

Anyone that says that sd looks as good as it used to may need to get glasses!Both sat companies have to compress sd to death because it is nowhere near the quality it used to be.Even on a 19" crt sd looks like crap.Used to have an RCA 27" crt and back before there were so many channels Dish in sd on that set looked really good.

SD picture quality

Sd does look good on some tv's and like crap on others. That is why I am interested in the setup info.
Thanks for the replies/
Sorry, I haven't been by here for a while. I am using an old fashioned 27 inch CRT type Sharp TV.
It is set up and adjusted nicely and capable of a very sharp picture ( no pun).with natural looking color balance and good blacks. S video connection to a vintage 510.
The picture looks worse than Netflix on a 2 Mbps connection.
Looks like I will have to move into the 21st century.

Agree with garys. I once owned a 501 with similar chipset to your 510, and I bought a 32" Sylvania HDTV that had the worst SD picture I have ever seen. It was much worse than the CRT it replaced. So I replaced the TV again with a Vizio and it was good enough for a few months until I upgraded the 501 to a 612.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)