SDXC for BD titles?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
First there was SD. Then there was SDHC. Now there's SDXC. Per Popular Science (June 09 issue), 64GB SDXC cards are to hit the streets this year. Large enough for a Blu-ray movie, with fast enough transfer speeds.

I wonder if these will (or could) drop in price enough to be competitive with BD optical media? Personally, I'd rather have the larger, harder to lose disc, but I can see where this might have some appeal. I'd expect the no moving parts no laser player would be cheaper. And small enough to build in to HDTVs and AV receivers. This could come online faster than the Magic Fairy could put massive broadband pipes into everyone's homes.

Am I missing some obvious drawback to HD movies on a chip?

Gotta wonder what the future holds.

First there was SD. Then there was SDHC. Now there's SDXC. Per Popular Science (June 09 issue), 64GB SDXC cards are to hit the streets this year. Large enough for a Blu-ray movie, with fast enough transfer speeds.

I wonder if these will (or could) drop in price enough to be competitive with BD optical media? Personally, I'd rather have the larger, harder to lose disc, but I can see where this might have some appeal. I'd expect the no moving parts no laser player would be cheaper. And small enough to build in to HDTVs and AV receivers. This could come online faster than the Magic Fairy could put massive broadband pipes into everyone's homes.

Am I missing some obvious drawback to HD movies on a chip?

Gotta wonder what the future holds.
Eventually, but they are not cheap enought yet. I don't remember seeing the current cost, but I suspect that BD are under $1.50, perhaps under $1 in bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)