SEALING A SPLICE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zaxxon

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Dinwiddie VA USA
When I had my new home built, I had a bull dozer doing some landscaping and it dug up and cut my telephone wire.

I called the telephone service man and he ran a new line from where it was cut to the box.

He wired the cut wire togeather with the new wire, punched a hole in a styrofoam coffee cup, pushed the wires through the cut hole and filled the cup with spray foam, the kind of foam that you use for insulating.

Since then that is how I seal a splice that is going to be buried.

Quick easy and cheap and it is not going to leak.:)

Sounds good, except I never have found one of those spray cans that would spray that stuff out
properly. Usually ended up throwing about 3/4 of the can away...

Sounds good, except I never have found one of those spray cans that would spray that stuff out
properly. Usually ended up throwing about 3/4 of the can away...
Get a small can of acetone to clean everything up right after you use it. If you wait a real long time, you can often salvage the cans, too. (7 out of 8, here.):D

Just another point, some of the stuff is not totally water proof.:(

interesting info....but thank goodness I wont have to worry about hitting a buried wire..mine are out to see :)

The shrink tube that comes with heat trace termination kits are extremely waterproof, after all they are designed to sit in eavestroughs and such. Just a thought. Also, a piece of tubing slid over the wire before making the joint and then fill with silicone sounds pretty solid too. I'm an electrician and have used both of these methods, depending on what I have on hand at the time. Later!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)