Search Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have just finished updating and rebuilding the search index. This new search engine is FAST!

Enjoy!!

Something I used to be able to do. Not anymore.
I had a saved search URL that looks for threads that were updated in dishnetwork forum since my last visit. It does not work anymore.
How can I perform such a search now?
Thank you
Mark

Scott, good work on the update, thanks for your hard work, anyhow, question, you used to have links that said 'Newest DIRECTV posts' and the like, do you plan to bring those back? I miss them.

Also in my browser (a text based one, my USER_AGENT lies ;)) I see at the top of every reply text form (where you would do a quick reply for example), this, "The following errors occurred when this message was submitted" (no errors are listed), it just says this, and this is when I didn't even submit a reply, though it _is_ fully functional, just thought I'd let you know.

Also I just noticed, if I edit a post of mine, that had a single line spacing between paragraphs, when I edit, the emtpy lines are removed making the once single blank-line seperate paragraphs into 1 paragraph with the empty line missing, making me readd the spacing when I submit the now edited post, this may be my browser not sure.

Thanks

Last edited:
BFG said:
here's the link for damaged who want's to search for DirecTV posts
http://www.satelliteguys.us/search.php?do=getnew&f=11

Thanks for taking the time to provide that link :), but it shows all D* posts regardless of how old they are (and it does not seem to contain any of the recent posts I made just within the hour, making me think it is skipping some, or they are N pages into that search result), the link I refer to only displays new D* posts made in the last X number of hours. (i.e. posts from yesterday would not be included).

I do appreciate it and your link does come in handy, but not quite what I meant, but it's not that big of a deal if it causes Scott too much work.

Last edited:
damaged said:
Thanks for taking the time to provide that link :), but it shows all D* posts regardless of how old they are (and it does not seem to contain any of the recent posts I made just within the hour, making me think it is skipping some)...
It all depends on your definition of "New" ;)

It looks like "New Posts" feature has changed in the new version: it now shows only posts that you haven't seen yet. "New" posts, so to speak... :D
The post that you just made your self is not considered new, as you have already seen it...

At the top of the list you will see posts that you have not seen yet and that appeared since your last visit.
Then after that you will see the following line:
"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

Hope this helps!

Ilya said:
It all depends on your definition of "New" ;)
It looks like "New Posts" feature has changed in the new version: it now shows only posts that you haven't seen yet. "New" posts, so to speak... :D
The post that you just made your self is not considered new, as you have already seen it...

Makes sense, I understand now, however, I do miss the old way, since the results were smaller and seemed to be more bandwidth/load time efficient, I got spoiled I guess, like I said, it isn't a deal breaker, was just wondering if he planned on readding that specific functionality back again or not.

Perhaps I should give the 'Mark Forums Read' a try, that may reduce the results.

EDIT: Yup, 'Mark Forums Read' seemed to be the ticket, I can live with that ( although I still preferred the old way ;) ).
Sorry if I wasted anyones time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I like that new feature that allows me to see all of those posts even if they were not new since my last login because it refreshes on its own. If I have to go and do something before I get read them all I can still access them (at least the last 500 new posts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)