Searching for Signal--local channels--please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishiki

Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Okay, I have had this problem for two weeks now, and it still isn't fixed. I've had the techs out here twice. Here is the situation. I have a three room directv system, with an oval dish. The living room had a Philips 70 hour Tivo, connected back to my tv by S-video.

Everything was working fine until about two weeks ago. At that point, I couldn't get my local channels. It would say searching for signal on locals, and on a few other channels like ESPN news (208). So i reran through the setup, and it actually errored out on me. So I tested the signal strength, and I would get signal strength on all the even transponders, but on all the odd ones (1,3,5,7,9,etc.) I'd get nothing on either line. So I am thinking busted tivo. The tech guy comes out and tries to fix it. He replaced the LNB switch, replaced the connectors on the coax cables, and tried it. Still no go.

So I took a receiver out of another room (just the basic receiver), hooked it up, and it worked fine. Local Channels and everything. So the tech said it definitely must be the tivo. I call Directv, they say they are sending me another tivo. So last Wednesday I get a new Samsung tivo, 100 hour version. I hook it up, put in the new access card, BINGO, everything works.

Until Saturday. On saturday morning I get the same exact problem as before. The tech just came out again. He ran a cable directly from the dish into the tivo and still no go. Directv is now sending out another tivo. He cannot figure out what the problem is. He rechecked the grounding to make sure that was okay, and said it is grounded to a pipe that had paint on it, so he scraped the paint. He said that could have been the problem. I also tried the tivo in another room with just 1 line and same problem. So the two tivos are definitely fried.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Could it be voltage from the coax cables? Could it be a surge from the power outlet? I also have an xbox and dvd player hooked up to the tv. I did start playing the xbox recently, and I had never played it before. Could the hard drive from the xbox affect the tivo unit? They are separated by a shelf. I am at a loss for what is wrong here. I have no idea how to fix this, and I am afraid that the same thing is going to happen to the next tivo. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

The same thing happened to me. Friday I received a message on the receiver to make a daily phone call. When I did a new software version [they call version d] was downloaded. As soon as the system restarted I began having the same problem that you had. I have called tech support twice and they verified that some receivers will no longer work properly after installing version d. It did start working again after the first call and a series of maneuvers performed under their guidance. Regrettably, it didn't last long and it started messing up again. I called them back and was told that a patch will be downloaded at 2am--in about 2 hrs. I sure hope the patch fixes it! If not they said that they will have to get me a new receiver.

kim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts