Searching for Star Choice in US SW

starburst2

Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
BC
Hi
I live in Langley BC Canada and spend some of my winter time in the south in CA and AZ. I want to get a motorized satellite dish on my new motorhome that will pick up Star Choice. Does anyone know whether I can buy this hardware and service in the US or must I get it up here in Canada?
Starburst2

Star Choice is not available in the US.

The signal may not be legitimately available for purchase in the USA, but the signal does reach the USA.

It may take some looking, but I'm willing to bet that there is a Ku-Band motorized dish setup available somewhere. I wouldn't expect it to be cheap though. Starburst2 - you may want to consider rigging up some sort of portable setup for your dish that you can store away as you travel, but then set up when you arrive onsite. I believe that some of the motorized setups for RVs you will see cater towards the circular high powered satellites (DirecTV, Dish Network, Bell). Be careful to make sure that if you do find a motorized Ku setup that it is Starchoice compatible.

Go to the SD website, I think they still advertised a motorized dish

Yes, they do. It's on the Existing Customers>Accessories page. They currently offer three solutions for RV'ers.....all of them over $2K.......:eek:

They seem to be manufactured by third-parties, so you'll need to contact them regarding where they will ship.....Shaw will not ship their equipment to an address outside Canada, even if you have a Home Away From Home (HAFH) account. As for the Shaw webpage for HAFH.....I believe they removed the page some time ago in order to downplay this aspect of their service. I have read conflicting posts on this subject; some have said that they will not grant HAFH to new customers, but if this were true, why would they advertise the RV antenna setups....:confused: A CSR or perhaps the Shaw webpage service called "Ask Jim" could give you the real story on HAFH and/or how to apply your Shaw account to an RV setup

I can personnaly testify that the signal strength is very good in Arizona, although the larger 75e dish is recommended to minimize signal loss in the occasional rain we get. I have also read posts where you can get by with the smaller 60e dish, but if you're and HDef person, you might want the larger antenna.

Note that the Accessories page also advertises a tripod for a standard Shaw antenna as an alternate solution, as Davage points out in his post below. After a few times of setting it up and finding the signal, you'll be able to perform this operation in no time....and it's a lot cheaper than the RV solutions.

To Bobby: It sure is! Not sure if shaw has them or not. I have seen them from time to time on the web. Do a google search

* choice /shaw direct

yes they are available in US I spent the winter in Quartzsite and you could purchase it there from several dealers but really expensive do it at home and away you go.

Grampaw:)

Starburst2
I have now what you are looking for,but you need to purchase a receiver and sign up to a package while in Canada.Then when south of the border call Paul at Satalite Advantage in Quartsite AZ and order a Motosate HD with GPS.There are no taxes if shipped out of Arizona and shipping is free.and good price ...locks on both satellites in under 40 seconds........nice unit.....all the same channels i get in Ontario are received in south Texas ...self installed

Star Choice is not available in the US.
Bobby
You are mistaken here,,,,you cannot buy Starchoice in the US but not only is it available in US the signal is not lost as far south as Mexico city.....with FULL tec support.....unlike other nameless Canadian satellite providers
Dennis
Star choice Moto-Sat HD
Go Leafs GO....LOL
Home in Ontario.....winter in Rio Grande.every year
for 5 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)