Sears and Voom...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TechCop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Aiken, SC
A couple of weeks back I was in Sears and I saw their Voom display. I recognized the Voom name from a few commericals I had seen on Dish. I picked up a brochure and decided to look into the options offered. My attempts to gain any useable knowledge from the Sears clerk left me with the impression he knew less about Voom than I did. So be it, I decided to look elsewhere.

As I left the mall, I stopped by a nearby satellite dealer. In contrast, he was both knowledgeable and helpful. Although he does not handle Voom (Sears apparently has a monopoly on retail sales at present), he was very familiar with them...and very positive about what he knew of them. When I arrived home I did a little research on the internet, found you guys, and joined this forum. I have decided to become a Voomer, probably within the next two weeks.

Last night, I stopped back by Sears to actually "LOOK" at a Voom signal. I realized it would be too much to expect an intelligent discussion from the clerk, so I walked directly to the display (which is now falling apart, with the bottom half of the cardboard lying on the floor). The system is showing the HD weather channel, so I reach up to the receiver and change the channel. "Parental Lockout" flashes on the screen time and time again, as I search for an active channel. The clerk walks up and advises me that "They" locked out all but the weather and the news, and even he did not have the code to unlock them. I assume "They" was Sears management. He switched it back to the weather channel. I was awed.

My point is this: Sears did more to discourage a sale than to promote one. The only reason I decided to go with Voom was the knowledge I gained from this forum and from a dealer who does not sell the product.

Is Voom aware of this problem? Are all Sears stores this uninformed and helpless?

I also heard rumors that Voom would soon be available through a different retail source. Anyone else heard the same?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure there are others that have had an experience similar to yours. Haven't heard or read anything about another retail outlet for Voom, but that would probably help to sell it to more people. Sears could at least lock in HD News and 999 (the barker channel). Then you get a taste of two different displays.

This forum is far more informative than going into a store. If you are looking for HD content, this is a good place to be.

There was a rumor on AVS that Voom was going to partner with Tweeter. No one is sure if it's accurate.

TechCop said:
... Sears did more to discourage a sale than to promote one. The only reason I decided to go with Voom was the knowledge I gained from this forum and from a dealer who does not sell the product...

Can't agree more!

I visit THREE Sears stores trying to get a sense of the PQ. The first one was in Maplewood, MN. The PQ looked horrible compare with Dish by its side. I have to said it was worse than a 5 years old video tape; The second one in St. Paul, MN. No Signals at all. The salesman didn't know what happen to it, and thought Sears discountinued the business with VOOM; The last one is in The Mall of America, again, NO SIGNALS! The reciever seems locked.

The worst, salesmen in ALL 3 stores tryed to sell me Dish! I think VOOM should take some actions with Sears.

It's been a know problem since day one-sad to say Sears seems to be a lost cause..the same guy selling tv's one day maybe selling furniture the next

I had a terrible experience at Sears. The only channel they had was moov. I would have been much happier with weather and news. I emailed VOOM about this and something else and they replied asking which store it was so they could correct the problem. They said Sears should be showing six channels not just one. They also told me in the email that they were rolling out in Tweeter stores. I haven't been to the one here yet so I'm not sure if they're there yet.

Second verse, same as the first...

Yeppers. The first Sears that I visited had all of the VOOM marketing stuff attached around one particular HDTV. I took a good look at it, and it did not appear to be all that great of a picture.

So I picked the remote up off the top of the box and tried changing channels. Nothing happened.

Then I noticed that there were no lights on the STB. None. It was off. I pressed the power button, and... Nothing.

Those knuckleheads had D* running on the "VOOM" TV, had it set to an SD channel, and had the signal degredation that comes with sending the same signal to 60 televisions.

I gave up.

A week later my wife and I were passing by a different Sears, and my wife suggested that they might have a working VOOM set up. I stepped in, saw VOOM, and... Buh-Bye! I was a gonner. I didn't buy from Sears (leaser) but I did step out of the store, pull my cell phone out of my pocket, and I had VOOM ordered by the time I walked to my car.

Being able to see the VOOM difference really does SELL SUBSCRIPTIONS! It sold my wife. When VOOM gets a foothold in the big retail chain stores, and your average foot-traffic customer can make a side-by-side comparison, then VOOM will launch.

VOOM's decision to partner with Sears may be their biggest misstep to date.

Yes...it may well be, but aligning with Tweeter could go a long ways towards fixing it.

Lob

Same story with me at Sears ...

I went to my local Sears in Newark here. I actually have to arm twist the sale man before he would sell me the Voom package. He told me he has never seen a Voom rep nor has ever sold any Voom system. He was trying his best to get me out of buying it. I really don't know what Voom is doing with Sears.

Khanh

Stan I live in the Houston area, at what Tweeters did you see the Voom display??

voom sears

I live in Los Angeles, and also went to Sears to check out Voom. They actually did not block out any of the channels (at the time I was very concerned with TNT HD, due to the lakers games. My cable didn't offer it, and I wanted to make sure voom did, since it wasn't on there site for the first week they offered it). He turned it onto TNT HD, picture looked great and came in great. What i was really displeased with was the sales mans knowledge of Voom (zero), and how you purchase it from sears.

I can't believe the stupid method they use. You purchase a voucher from Sears, then call up voom, and when they install it you give (or send it later) the voucher? That is just lame. Why not just call up Voom, have it installed, and send them the money that you paid for the voucher. Doesn't seem to make any sense since you really save nothing from doing it. That alone made me not buy it from sears. I saw no point. They don't give you the equipment there, nothing, just some stupid voucher.

I agree the Sears/Voom business model makes as much sense as going to a Chevy dealer to buy a new Ford and getting a voucher to take back to Ford! Is Sears going to stand behind the Voom product after the sale? NO! They have absolutely nothing to do with Voom after they sell the voucher. And the consumer has no recourse for litigation with Voom through Sears after the purchase of the voucher. I just don't get it. What is the angle here?

traylorc said:
Stan I live in the Houston area, at what Tweeters did you see the Voom display??
Sorry, been away for a couple of days. It is the Tweeters in the Clear Lake area.

Sears

I too, had a bad time with Sears. I asked the salesman to show me the picture, he couldn't do it. I don't even think they had it hooked up. While talking to him, he said that VOOM was just a bunch of upconverted crap, and that I would be better off going with DishNetwork or DirecTV. VOOM needs to take action on this ASAP! Better sales incentives, training, whatever it takes.

Problem with Sears

I too had a bad time with Sears. I don't think they even had VOOM hooked up. The salesman said that VOOM was just a bunch of upconverted crap, then tried to sell me dishnetwork. VOOM needs to fix this quickly.

A few months ago, over in the Yahoo Groups newsboard, I ran a survey of Voom installation in Sears stores. It was obvious, that the overwhelming majority had done more to hurt the sales of Voom than to help it. For a while, it looked like they may have corrected the problem.

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that Sears salesmen (or management) make more money from selling Dish systems. Consider, they sell the receiver and the subscription. Got to be worth more than the $50 voucher.

Back around Christmas, a sales associate at Sears was getting between $75-$100 per Voom sold. No idea what it is now, or how it compares to Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)