Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Everything else is working fine. Checked the B-bands and did a reboot. Called DTV and they were not aware of a problem in the area. Just noticed it at about 5pm today. It's effecting both of my boxes (hr20-100 and hr21-700).

I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but D* seems to still be playing with the spot beams on D10. Last week the spot for Salt Lake City was in the 60's and now it's in the 50's where I'm at. It was always in the upper 80's and low 90's until the last few weeks. So far I still have signal, but I've gone to recording anything on the locals from OTA as it just keeps dropping. The odd thing about this is that I'm seeing other spot beams from D10 with signals in the 90's but they are not for our DMA.

Everything else is working fine. Checked the B-bands and did a reboot. Called DTV and they were not aware of a problem in the area. Just noticed it at about 5pm today. It's effecting both of my boxes (hr20-100 and hr21-700).

Based on the ZERO response or other posts from the Seattle DMA users, my best guess is NO, its not a system-wide outage and maybe you can tell us more about your hardware.

Dish with additional external multi-switch or just dish to receivers, etc?

Based on the ZERO response or other posts from the Seattle DMA users, my best guess is NO, its not a system-wide outage and maybe you can tell us more about your hardware.

Dish with additional external multi-switch or just dish to receivers, etc?

Agree with what you said. I'm sure a few more subs in Seattle DMA would have said something otherwise. No on the external switch, just dish to receivers. I have a repair visit scheduled for Saturday. Feeling better about paying for the maintenance plan now.

I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but D* seems to still be playing with the spot beams on D10. Last week the spot for Salt Lake City was in the 60's and now it's in the 50's where I'm at. It was always in the upper 80's and low 90's until the last few weeks. So far I still have signal, but I've gone to recording anything on the locals from OTA as it just keeps dropping. The odd thing about this is that I'm seeing other spot beams from D10 with signals in the 90's but they are not for our DMA.

I think my locals are off the sat at 99, or at least that's what the DTV rep told me when I called. When I do a TP check on either 99(s) or 103(s) the spotbeams show up as 0 or n/a. Is that the problem?

I have good signals on 103(c).

We get the Seattle local's from DirecTV and had no problems yesterday with channel 4. We had Channel 4 on from 4pm till 6:30pm with no problems. We then watched a recored programs untill about 7:30 and then switched to American Idol on 13 with no problems there either. We are using the HD channels with a HR20-700.

I think my locals are off the sat at 99, or at least that's what the DTV rep told me when I called. When I do a TP check on either 99(s) or 103(s) the spotbeams show up as 0 or n/a. Is that the problem?

I have good signals on 103(c).
That is the problem. Its possible your LNB for 99 is defective.

Yep, that is the problem. The Seattle locals are on 99(s) and have been working fine here. If it were a cabling issue, 101 would be bad also (it uses the same switching logic as 99. The tech will probably replace the whole LNB assembly (and possibly the entire dish if it is an AT-9).

I climbed up to the roof today and checked the dish. All was secure and tight. Nothing effecting line of site either. I'm thinking it has to be the LNB too. I looked up at-9 and am pretty sure I have a slimline.

About a month or so ago I lost signal on one of the two feeds on the HR20-100 (the HR21 was fine) and got it back when I unscrewed both feeds at the back of the box and did a reboot (once unattached and then again attached). I thought maybe my b-bands were acting up. Redid that process again, but no luck. Has to be a bad LNB because it effects both boxes. Will probably be an easy visit for the repair guy.

***note: before unscrewing the b-bands from the box always unplug the receiver.****

Last edited:
I climbed up to the roof today and checked the dish. All was secure and tight. Nothing effecting line of site either. I'm thinking it has to be the LNB too. I looked up at-9 and am pretty sure I have a slimline.

About a month or so ago I lost signal on one of the two feeds on the HR20-100 (the HR21 was fine) and got it back when I unscrewed both feeds at the back of the box and did a reboot (once unattached and then again attached). I thought maybe my b-bands were acting up. Redid that process again, but no luck. Has to be a bad LNB because it effects both boxes. Will probably be an easy visit for the repair guy.

When you unattach and reattach the RG6 and the b-band converters, you are unplugging the receivers from the wall outlets rights?

Yep, that is the problem. The Seattle locals are on 99(s) and have been working fine here. If it were a cabling issue, 101 would be bad also (it uses the same switching logic as 99. The tech will probably replace the whole LNB assembly (and possibly the entire dish if it is an AT-9).

are the locals mpeg2 or mpeg4?

Installer (from Ironwood) was here yesterday. He confirmed that it looks like a bad LNB but said that my slimline is produced by a manufacturer that DTV no longer uses and that the entire dish needs to be replaced because the LNB's he currently uses aren't compatable. He didn't have a replacement dish with him and will return Tuesday morning. Fortunately there just anything that I really feel a need to watch on the locals that I can't get OTA until then.

Slimline LNBs are interchangeable between manufacturers. The older AT-9 ones are not. I thought that Ironwood was being replaced by another installer.

Really? I'm sure what I have is a Slimline. The guy said he will return tomorrow morning. I don't doubt you are right. Is there a reason he might want to go to the effort of replacing the whole dish if he doesn't need to?

The guy showed up in his own car, not a DTV van.

Last edited:
Was here all day yesterday and Ironwood was a no show on the repair visit.

Left a VM stating I will be here today (happens I'm off Tues and Weds this week). Have to stick around the house anyway because I'm having a new garage door installed.

There is more that I can say negative about the experience with Ironwood, but I'll withhold it for now depending on today's outcome. As it is, I think that once this issue is resolved I'm going to drop the protection plan because it yokes me to Ironwood for repair work.

As far as the LNB's, I contacted an installer I trust more from past experience (Home Satellite) and they told me the LNB's generally are just included in the total package with the Dish and they just don't order them separately. So at least that part of the story seems plausible.

Update: Ironwood sent a supervisor out after 6pm. It took him about 20 min to replace the entire dish unit. I have my HD-LIL's again (confirmed bad LNB). It shouldn't have taken all this effort and time, but the main thing is that it finally gotten taken care of.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.