Second 622 and OTA signal low

h2oski

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 22, 2006
I currently have one 622 hooked up to a tv and the OTA stations have signal strengths in the high 90's. My local installer added another 622 for my new tv today and the OTA signal strength is in the 70s for that receiver and is so weak that I only get about a third of the channels that I get on my other receiver. I still get high 90's on my old receiver while I get 70's on the other reciever. What the heck is going on?

From looking at my install it appears that installer split my antenna feed using a diplexer. Even when I swap the cables on the output of the diplexers the signal strengths stay the same. Does that mean I have a bad cable run for my antenna from the diplexer to the new receiver?

thanks

h2oski

Last edited:
Why not eliminate the diplexer out of the system and see what it does. Hook your new 622 straight to the OTA cable and see what it reads. That will determine if the cable is bad or the receiver isn't picking up the signals as well as the other receiver. Good luck.

wrong section

this thread needs to be transfered to the proper forum section, where it will get more and better attention.

A two way splitter introduces a 3dB loss on your OTA line. that might be enough to cause dropouts.

If the two are not equal, it may be a cabling problem.

You might consider a Winegard HDP-269 pre-amp. It has 12dB gain and is resistant to overload for urban situations.

More likely a problem with the 622's OTA tuner. I replaced a problem 622 with a new one and changed nothing with my OTA set up. Signal strength went from 90's + on all NYC channels to 60's, 70's & some 80's. My current unit cant hold signals under 70 so I have lost channels. I'm 17 miles from transmitters. Dish claims software issues. I doubt it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)