second home dish

rcwilcox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
I am setting up a second home. I like to take my receiver back and forth and need recommendations on the dish setup there. What i have now is a dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119 plus a dish pointed at 61.5 and another at 77 (for HD locals). When i get there i would still like the HD locals so i need 77 and i know some say you can use a 500 (which i have) to get 61.5 and 72.7 My question is what if anything is the secret to doing that and can/should the 500 be modified to improve it due to the 11 degree spread vs 9 degree and how would you figure the skew? I would like to use DP plus twin plus single to keep it simple. Any thoughts? I don't want to call Dish as they would probably want to change my locals,

Last edited:
Well the simplest thing would be to duplicate exactly what you have in the first location, otherwise you have to run the check switch procedure every time the receiver moves.

thanks

Well the simplest thing would be to duplicate exactly what you have in the first location, otherwise you have to run the check switch procedure every time the receiver moves.
Don't want three dishes like i have now I have extra dishes and LNB's so i was hoping to avoid additional expense

You can use a D500 and twin for 61.5/72.7 but you will not get a maximum signal due to the degree of separation difference. You would probably have to experiment with the skew and elevation a bit. Use the skew info from dishpointer.com for a 1000.4 as a starting point and adjust from there. It'd be simpler to buy a 1000.4 and install the single dish for all three sats or have E* do the install as a dishmover which they will do for a vacation/second home as long as you move the receivers back and forth. If you sign up under DHPP, the "mover" is free and you can drop the DHPP afterwards. If they switch your locals, just wait a week and call them and tell them you're back at the "home address". Your locals are ConUS now but when the new EA sats are in place, your "home" locals will go to spotbeam and you won't get them if you're outside the beam.

thanks

You can use a D500 and twin for 61.5/72.7 but you will not get a maximum signal due to the degree of separation difference. You would probably have to experiment with the skew and elevation a bit. Use the skew info from dishpointer.com for a 1000.4 as a starting point and adjust from there. It'd be simpler to buy a 1000.4 and install the single dish for all three sats or have E* do the install as a dishmover which they will do for a vacation/second home as long as you move the receivers back and forth. If you sign up under DHPP, the "mover" is free and you can drop the DHPP afterwards. If they switch your locals, just wait a week and call them and tell them you're back at the "home address". Your locals are ConUS now but when the new EA sats are in place, your "home" locals will go to spotbeam and you won't get them if you're outside the beam.
that was more what i was looking for in the way of info. It would also seem that lengthing or shortening the LNB arm might help with signal strength (to offset for the different spacing and yes i know tha also changes focal length i just thought there might be a trade off that would work

There is a trade off your reception quality/reliability. Dish 500 was designed for a 9 degree spacing not an 11.2 spacing so take weaker satellites and planned misaiming and you trade off strong signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)