Second HWS In Less Than a Year and Now Random Reboots

nickg420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Flowery Branch, Ga
This is my second HWS in less than a year. The first HWS had a HD failure within the first 2 weeks of use, and now this replacement is randomly rebooting.

I thought it may be an overheating problem so I checked and Avg Temp is at about 116°. I still made sure there was plenty of airflow around it and even contemplated adding a notebook chillpad for good measure. My understanding is anything below 120° is an acceptable level, is that not correct?

I really do not want to have to replace this HWS if I do not have to. Any tips or idea as to what could be causing the rebooting issue?

On another note, if I do have to replace it, can I transfer my recordings to my External HD to keep them?

Thanks!

You can always use an external hard drive to back up recordings too, but the Hopper will format the hard drive to work with our equipment so you want to use an external that is not being used on any other devices. An external hard drive can be up to 2TB's in size, it will need to be USB 2.0 compatible and have its own power cord. Once the drive is formatted it can be hooked up to either Hopper on the account to back up or watch recordings from.

Usually we will be looking at needing to replace the receiver when it starts rebooting. Very rarely I have had a surge protector that the receiver is plugged into be the cause of the issue, you can check that by going directly to the wall outlet and seeing if the rebooting still occurs

I am currently using an external HD, I just wanted to confirm the external HD is not tied to the receiver itself and that it will not be reformatted when connected to a replacement receiver causing m to lose all of my archived recordings.

The receiver usually randomly rebots at least once a day. It usually happens in on of 2 ways. The screen will go black in between a channel change and become unresponsive resulting in a reboot. Or secondly, the receiver will show no issues while playing during extended viewing such as a movie but the receiver is unresponsive to the remote and front panel after. Thus requiring a reboot just to power the receiver off.

I greatly appreciate your assistance!

Well I finally got the Hard Drive Failure error tonight. This will be my second replacement in less than a year, I'm not that impressed with the reliability of this equipment at all.

Can a DIRT member help me get a replacement request started?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

My hopper crashed and erased everything. Than it would crash every day . I took the cover off and pulled the drive out of its holding bracket and let it hang out of the unit . So far so good it's been fine for a month. I am thinking the drive must be very heat sensitive. I put it back in the bracket and back in the hopper a week ago but I have the lid off so I have my fingers crossed. I was on Amazon ready to order a new drive it's still in my shopping cart .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)