Second receiver with limited channels for AMC4???

neighbor

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Until Glorystar comes out with a new LNB system to allow two receivers on one dish, will this method of partial channels on a second receiver potentially damage a receiver or the DiSEqC switch? Since 3ABN, Hope, Loma Linda, Gospel Music, and Miracle are all Horizontal on AMC4 the voltage from either receiver watching any of these channels would be the same. Could you, therefore, program only those channels on the second receiver, insert a dual power passing splitter between the DiSEqC switch and LNB 1 (which feeds the power/signal to/from AMC4) and carry the signal from this LNB 1 to the second receiver with a second coax into the house???? I know that rather than using a Dual LNBF for two receivers on a single satellite system, this splitter works provided both receivers are only programmed to receive the horizontal channels. Will it work or damage anything with the added DiSEqC switch and a Glorystar primary receiver? The only time I see a potential issue is if the primary Glorystar receiver was on a AMC4 Vertical channel. Are there other problems or issues or could this work???

do you have just a dish aimed at AMC4 or do you have the 2 LNB setup?

If its just AMC4 get a dual LNB. Then both receivers have independent viewing. But to answer to original question, one of the receivers is the master and the other is the slave. The slave box can only view what polarity the main one is on.

On the receiver there usually is an option to turn the LNB power off. You could do that too :)

Additional info. . .

Thanks Iceberg for your response. I have seen a system with a single dish and a single LNB aimed at just AMC4 providing signal to two receivers using the power passing splitter instead of a dual LNB. They still had LNB power on from both receivers. I was skeptical as to how it would work until I checked and found that they in fact had only Horizontal Channels programmed. I was still wondering what would happen if their receivers were different brands sending slighly different voltages or if it would still work if one of the receivers used the two LNB Glorystar system. (with the added DiSEqC switch.) I like your idea of turning off the LNB power for the second receiver to prevent any potential problems, but by doing that you would have no power going to the AMC4 LNB if the Glorystar primary receiver was watching a channel on the IA5 LNB. I have two dishes set up now, one with the two LNBs for Glorystar, and a second dish for a second receiver which I use for AMC4: 3ABN, Hope, Loma Linda, Gospel Music, and Miracle . . .all horizontal. I am looking forward to a possible monoblock (dual and double LNB) to get all channels from both satellites to both receivers with only one dish, but until then, I was trying to decide if I could get back to only one dish with limited channels on the second receiver. By using the power passing splitter, it sounds as though I could go back to just one dish, provided there is not a chance of power coming from both receivers causing a problem to a reciver or DiSEqC switch???

Last edited:
How does power pass through DiSEqC switch?

I reread and thought about Iceberg's response.
But to answer to original question, one of the receivers is the master and the other is the slave. The slave box can only view what polarity the main one is on.
Does power pass through the DiSEqC swith to both LNBs all the time and only the signal returning change as to which LNB is used or does both power out and signal back switch? (I know these switches are sensitive and would rather not burn out several testing them to learn.)

If one side is power passing then the other side cannot do damage to the diseqc switch.

Another option is to use the loop out feature on the back of the receiver. This allows you to hook an additional receiver and view what the main unit sees.

What you might want to do is put the splitter between the AMC4 LNB and the diseqc switch

like this

LNB---------SPLITTER non power-------------Slave receiver
--------------SPLITTER power passing----diseqc------master receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts