Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This weekend a number of high profile sites running the vBulletin forum software were hacked and the databases and passwords were downloaded by those who broke in. These high profile sites include Macrumors.COM as well as the two main vBulletin forums, vBulletin.com and vBulletin.org.

There are other reports of the hack at http://thehackernews.com/2013/11/vBulletin-hacked-Zero-Day-vulnerability.html (Go there at your own risk)

SatelliteGuys runs the vBulletin forum software, however there is no indication or evidence SatelliteGuys servers have been compromised in any way.

It appears that this hack may work by breaking into a staff members account by doing a Brute Force Attack on a staff members password. Because of this I have set a limit of failed log in attempts before an account is locked out of the system for a period of time. This move is done to help secure the system.

Because of this we ask all members to take their security online as seriously we do here at SatelliteGuys. If you have not changed your password in awhile you may want to now. We do our best to keep our members info safe and secure, but with things like this happening it is impossible to guarantee full security of your SatelliteGuys account For your account to be more secure it is up to you to take action. Please do not use the same password everywhere!

We will continue to work and do our best to keep your information secure! But we need your help. If you are concerned about your online security please change your password often and again do not use the same password for all sites.

I will say that because of vBulletin's lack of concern for this issue and lack of a patch to protect vBulletin forums has me once again considering switching our forum software to another software platform which can better handle our needs and takes the opinions and suggestions from their paying customers seriously.

My password on this site is about 28 characters long and they're all random letters/numbers/capitalization/spaces lol. Yes I even memorized it lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I once knew a guy with a 28-character last name. Let me see if I can remember how he spelled it.

Scheckielzdzeneichky

No, that's not 28 characters. Maybe it was Brettschneider. No, that's only 14. Maybe my memory is making these guys' last names even more grandiose than they actually were. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)