Seeking dual KU and CBAND receiver PVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
I might be asking for too much but am wondering if there is a receiver out there which could handle two dishes, one KU, one cband, have PVR functions and good motoring capabilities.

Handling multiple dishes is what the Switches Simplified FAQ is all about...
... unless you mean, two tuners.

Sorry, yes, I meant two tuners.
The advantages I'm looking for are one single pvr system which controls two separate dishes.

In a dual tuner STB, a single interface controls the dual tuners and each satellite requires a set-up. The selection between tuners has the same function as using a switch to change between dishes. A dual tuner adds the ability to simultaneously record and/or watch programming from two different transponders, satellites or sources. Otherwise there are no operational differences or advantages.

The tuners for C-band and Ku-band are the same. Identical.
The only advantage a (rare) dual-tuner box would have, is the ability to record two shows at once.
It wouldn't let you see two at once, as it has a single output.
You might be able to watch a previously recorded show.

The number of single-tuner PVRs that work, might be counted on one hand.
The number of dual-tuner PVRs... I'm not sure: one finger?
And I think it'd be standard definition, and generally a poor choice.

vs9000 hd, sonicview 360 elite, cw 3k or cw4k are the only dual tuner recievers that i know of.... the vs9000 hd didnt work last i heard, the cw 3 & 4 k are just pc's with sat tuner cards installed.... i think the sv360 was more of a hackerbox along with the vs9000... viewsat 7000 pvr according to google also

I have several factory samples of DVBS / S2 dual tuner receivers that I wouldn't release on my worst enemy! You know what happens with one high bandwidth stream.....cough, cough, sputter, sputter, skip, jump, stutter..... Imagine two HD streams! :eek:

New powerful and inexpensive chipsets are starting to appear from the tablet market that will revolutionize STB design in the next year or two. I expect that soon we will be able to have 3D GUI and juggle two or more HD streams without breaking a sweat.

Pansat 5000 & 6000 are dual tuners but not the best out there. Small hard drive and lots of glitches

The consensus appears to be maybe in the future, nothing much here today.
I've spent a lot of time messing around with mythtv and lately, started playing with WinTV and even those things aren't so great either.

Mythtv is just plain a pain in the behind, too easily broken and way more than a hobby to anyone who just wants a decent PVR. WinTV, suffice it to say, Windows based, terrible.

Hoped there might be something new out there so thought I'd ask.

Thanks very much for the input.

the cw 3k & 4k have (had?) support if u bought them pre-configured... they are a bit more than a stb tho... htpc media solution... basically they are linux pc's with myth, vdr & vlc installed.... mythtv is fairly good & stable for fta (once u get it rite)

Something practical:
- new SD: GeoSatPro DVR 1100c (see our review department or get input from users)
- used SD: Visionsat IV-200 (search the forum for high praise)
Both the above were the result of the work of Brian at SatelliteAV, and represent the best you'll find in that class.

- Hi Def: AZbox (we have a special forum department dealing with this receiver)
- Hi Def: Openbox (or one of its other names: SSO)
Not sure either will record all the highest bit rate feeds they can receive, but you might be satisfied.

Do your homework on the four receivers above, to start.
None have dual tuners, but all will talk to multiple dishes.
Here is an example of how to hook one receiver to as many as eight LNBs.
If you have multiple receivers, the LNBs will need dual outputs and here is a switching example.

I have a dual tuner satellite card and I have never had the need to use both tuners at the same time except to experiment that I can use both if I choose. Go with a single tuner and switches or two separate STBs.

Myth is pretty cool but it's a pain in the butt to maintain. I've had it going for several months now and even just sitting there working away, it eventually decides to hiccup. I don't have time to babysit so many things in my life which is why I'd love to find something that simply does what it does and does it well.

Something practical:
- new SD: GeoSatPro DVR 1100c (see our review department or get input from users)
- used SD: Visionsat IV-200 (search the forum for high praise)
Both the above were the result of the work of Brian at SatelliteAV, and represent the best you'll find in that class.

- Hi Def: AZbox (we have a special forum department dealing with this receiver)
- Hi Def: Openbox (or one of its other names: SSO)
Not sure either will record all the highest bit rate feeds they can receive, but you might be satisfied.

Do your homework on the four receivers above, to start.
None have dual tuners, but all will talk to multiple dishes.
Here is an example of how to hook one receiver to as many as eight LNBs.
If you have multiple receivers, the LNBs will need dual outputs and here is a switching example.

The AzBox Elite, Premium and Premium Plus models all support dual satellite tuners. The receiver comes with only one tuner installed by default but can be easily upgraded with a second tuner as these are modular.

Status
Please reply by conversation.