Seeking SA IPTV setup

OhioDave

Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Seeking SA IPTV setup help

I am a Sky Angel subscriber and for the past month or so I've been wrestling with Sky Angel IPTV tech. support attempting to get the IPTV to work. I've had about 8 to 12 or more conversations totaling more than 6 hours I'm sure, probably closer to 10+ hours on the phone. Last week they finally agreed to send me a another IPTV set top box, which has yet to arrive so I'm not sure it will solve the problem. I have both wireless and hard wire and neither is working for IPTV. Firewalls have been turned off, and everything else in my house- computer wise - has NO problems getting out onto the internet. I'm baffled and so it seems are they. My ISP doesn't block any ports. The IPTV box just isn't able to acquire the home page. Any ideas out there? anyone else have a problem connecting their IPTV box?

I have DSL (local provider and an excellent one at that, but not Verizon) with I believe is a dynamic IP address (I think static ones cost extra) and my router is a Linksys BEFSX41. We've tried setting the IPTV box IP on the Gaming port settings and that didn't help.

Today (04/04/2008) I received a replacement IPTV box from Sky Angel today and tried it on my wired system (I've turned off the wireless while I'm not using it) but as I suspected it responds the same. I'm really hoping that someone here will have a solution to this situation as it appears that Sky Angel tech support is befuddled. I'm going to try to keep an eye on the forum until I go to bed tonight as well as on the weekend to try any ideas offered. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Linksys's owner's manual talks about a DMZ, not a Gaming port. Are you sure you're on the right port? If you want to use the DMZ feature of your BEFSX41, you will need to connect up your SA STB to port 4 AND turn on this feature by logging into the router. You should see a green light on port 4 and the DMZ light as well. Are they both lit?

Contrarywise, if you have enabled the DMZ feature and something else is connected to port 4, then the SA traffic may be going to that "something else" rather than the STB. In general, things to check are the link light, the IP address the SA STB has gotten (if any), and the domain name servers the SA STB has (if any). This is an ordered list! If you don't have a link light, forget about the rest. If you don't have a link light and a valid IP address, then forget about the DNS settings.

Seeking SA IPTV setup help

Linksys's owner's manual talks about a DMZ, not a Gaming port. Are you sure you're on the right port? If you want to use the DMZ feature of your BEFSX41, you will need to connect up your SA STB to port 4 AND turn on this feature by logging into the router. You should see a green light on port 4 and the DMZ light as well. Are they both lit?

Contrarywise, if you have enabled the DMZ feature and something else is connected to port 4, then the SA traffic may be going to that "something else" rather than the STB. In general, things to check are the link light, the IP address the SA STB has gotten (if any), and the domain name servers the SA STB has (if any). This is an ordered list! If you don't have a link light, forget about the rest. If you don't have a link light and a valid IP address, then forget about the DNS settings.

I have not had a chance to try your suggestions, but what I did have an opportunity to do is that I brought my equipmment to a friend/neighbor's house, plugged it into his wired Netgear router setup (via SBC) and was able to bring up the Sky Angel 'Home' page in moments and voila it worked fine. So, I'm now hoping to find time tonight check the items you mentioned as well seeing if my friend will allow me to try my router and modem on his SBC setup to totally eliminate the possibility of the equipment being a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)