Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Anyone ever ride one? Fun and amazing. Stopped at a friends and saw this, he is setting up a business for tourists.

kinda ammazing it really works

Well we know it works, we've all seen it, However I wonder whatever happened to the huge rollout they planned. I would have expected them to be everywhere by now...

At EPCOT at Walt Disney World they have a Segway class you can take ($85). The first hour they train you on how to operate the Segway and use it. The 2nd hour they take you out in the park, back in the World Showcase section which doesn't open until 11AM and you ride through a number of countries and a few obstacle's. If you take the later class while you're riding back to the class room World Showcase is open and you need to ride through the other guests walking around. One kid was walking with his dad and said "I don't know what those are but I want one.".

They are really neat to ride, the only thing that I don't like about them is when you're standing on them for two hours your feet get tired from just standing there, it's like standing in one place for two hours.

I've seen other staff at Disney World use them and the Chicago Police at O'Hare airport. I've also seen that at some cities there are tours you can take on Segways vs. walking or tour busses. Don't really know why they haven't taken off in the cities, in the burbs they're kind of useless IMHO.

My in-laws did that at Disney. They said it was easy to use, but yes, your legs get tired.

You're not designed to ride them for 2 hours, they're not toys...You're designed to use them in lieu of walking to destinations. Disney is kind of an exception because you will spend 2 hours walking through disney, but in normal city usage you wouldn't spend 2 hours walking anywhere.

I think they would be popular on the west coast, but not in the northeast. You can't use them in the snow without the rough-terrain tires, and even then it's really dangerous if you hit a patch of ice, because your tires will just spin around, and if you try to get off, you're going to be on your ass...

But they are great fun to ride, and it's a good way to get a tour of a city you're visiting. Much closer than a bus tour.

My friend has met the design team and thinks this will be a real $ maker. His family always had a nose for $. His parents used to be my landlord, I bought our home off his mom before she passed away.

Nice family.....

Indoor usage, and warm-weather usage. Even if it blows up in those environments, that's still leaving a lot of the country without being able to use these things outdoors for half the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)