Selecting LNBs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

landysaccount

Original poster
May 8, 2008
Hello everyone.
This is my first post to the list which I've found very interesting thanks to the founders and the users.

How can I know what type of LNB to use for the different satellites/transponders, for instance: What LNB is needed for 95W Galaxy 3c or 121W Echostar 9 or any in the eastern emisphere?

Thank you in advance for your help.

any linear LNB will work for 95 or 121 but there isn't many free things on 121 except for a "you have a dish at 121" screen :)

as for the stuff in the eastern hemisphere....well...due to a little thing called the earth being round we can't see anything in the eastern hemi from North AMerica :)

Thanks Iceberg for your quick response.

I'm new to this, sorry if I bomb you with too many questions but, I need help. If you can guide me to where I can find answers to these questions I'll apreciate it.

So, if I get a linear LNB I can get signal from any transponder on the western emisphere?

Will a circular LNB work as well?

What's the difference?

What are the best transponders for free stuff?

Where can I get a list of channels for each transponder?

Thanks again.

Here is a very basic overview of the channels and FTA satellites.
Those are just the linear ones, and can be received with an LNB labeled Standard, or one labeled Universal.
In general , you would be well advised to look for a 36" dish for your LNB.

For the pay TV satellites, there is precious little to see, because 99% of what they carry is encrypted.
Two things that come to mind are Angel One and NASA, both on the 119º bird.
Those two channels are in the clear, but you will need a Circular LNB.

Once you are more familiar with the different satellites, you may want to graduate to a better and more technical list.

Also, to find out which satellites you can view, use any of these satellite finder programs, and input your city or postal code:
SatelliteAV sponsors a fine calculator with PDF output.
Sadoun sponsors another fine calculator with satellite maps.
oops: And, we have a fine angle calculator here at TheList, as well.

Any satellite that is say 20º above the horizon should be no problem, as long as your dish has an unobstructed view to the sky in the proper direction.
For satellites lower than 20º, it's possible but just more of a challenge.
For satellites lower than 10º, it's possible but you get bragging rights. - ;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)