Self Install Account Info

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
Got a question abot E* accounts,

I bought my first E* system back in the day from Costco and did a self install at my home. I know as a DNS tech later that practice was discontinued. Easy to see why. :D

Ive convinced my parents to switch from cable to E* since they were paying way too much for cable. I have a dish 1000 and 625 I own that I was planning to install, just need to seperate out thier comcast HSI, and its all but done.

But how do I get an account set up? Can you still build one over the phone or will I need to schedule a install appt to do nothing? The whole point of going this route is that I have the equipment and dont want a 18 month commiment or pay the $49 activation. and generally wouldnt turn my back on installers in my area for more than 5 seconds.

What is my best option?

if you have the equipment installed and have the R00 and S00 numbers(read by pressing menu twice on most receivers), you can call in and sign up for a "Direct no discount" promotion. Basically means you did the install all you need is the service.

Hope this helps.

you can set up an account under the code "no promotion". just tell the csr this term and they should no what to do. you will not get any free hbo/max for three months or free dhppp for 12 months as with a dha18, but you will however have no commitment and no 49.99 activation fee. your folks can still use the dish dvr advantage plan which includes the t100/200/250 plus local and dvr service at a cost of 39.99/49.99/59.99 providing they sign up for credit card auto pay or they sign an 18 mont aggreement(which i know you dont want). this will save them .98 cents on the top 100, and 3.98 a month on the t200 and t250. the credit card auto pay is the way to go. seeing how the dvr will not have a warrenty(i am assuming u purchased it over a year ago) it might be worth it to sign up for dhpp. their first bill will be for two months service, so be sure to let them know that so they wont get a price shock.

Ok, I was not aware they still allowed this. Yes I own all the equipment, been quite awhile, not worried about warrenties at this point. Will upgrade or add DHPP later if needed. Will probually setup autopay or if not just not go with DVR advantage. Im not fan of autopay or the 18 month contact. Never know how the card number will be used, and disputing a charge with E* is not a good way to go.

Thanks for the help guys!

just so you know, a csr/tsr can only see the last four digits of the card number once it is entered into autopay. e* has taken these measures to protect their customers. afterall, autopay does benefit e*, so they do want to give their customers piece of mind. and i have some advice for disputes. this advice goes to all companies that you conduct business with(not just e*). if the first phone call does not sastify you and you still feel like the charge on your card is invalid, contact the financial institution who handles your charge card account. there are people in that industry paid to handle such situations that arise. generaly they will suspend your financial obligations to the charge until the dispute has been setteled.

the "no promotion" would not cost the 49.99 upfront. the dha will not refund it, and the dha18 will but requires the commit. he will not have to pay one cent to sign them up with his old equip. also, he will be able to upgrade later, just not right away, and depending on what he wants to upgrade it might be cheaper to go no promo. it just decides on what he wants.

hey wicked, have you considered just starting them up on a clubdish dha? no commit, the upfront 49.99 and acitvation is waived and you get 5 dollars off your bill a month for 10 months for referring them. and the first time you refer you get 5 free ppv movies. go ahead and call in to dish and order some clubdish cards.

Yes I had thought about this, I would like to get another referal, but remember the system is already installed. I dont need a appt to install anything. Will they allow this if the system is already up and running? I prefer not to have a tech show up and don't want the house QA'd.

clubdish requires installation. also, if your parents ever had dish before they are not elgible. you mentioned that later that your parents might want to upgrade. if this upgrade is going to be to hd, then they will require installation later anyways. no hd equip i sent on dishin it ups unless a tech previously had laready installed hd on the job and there is record of it. plus, you will have dishinup upgrade fees. best advice i can give is to go for the clubdish dha now for the equipment they plan to upgrade later. and if you plan to upgrade the equipment to just another second 625 later on(if you were wanting two sd dual dvrs total), then get the clubdish dha now. the four room install will cover hooking up your owned dual tuner dvr. since the dha promotion gives you four rooms free, the leased rec only uses two, which leaves room for two more even if you own the equipment. you just need to let dish know at the time of the order placement. there is an option for adding installation codes for owned equip onto a dha install. as long as you dont go over four rooms, the work order will be kosher. anything over four rooms will be 59.00 a room. oh, and try checking out a local retailer. maybe you could swing a deal with a local guy.

Retailers here are worse quality than DNS. I meant by upgrading that if the equipment went out then I would upgrade by buying a new receiver. When my 522 went out for example I just bought a 622. The cost is not the concern for me usually, its that I dont want a appt or a contract. Thats why I buy my own stuff. I feel for techs as its not that they cant do a good job, dns here is just overkilling them. I had 90+ points a day, then came mandatory overtime, etc etc. Not a good way to boost morale.

Another question that you brought up and got me thinking? If I do a disnin it up on a existing account that has a 622 receiver that was installed by myself and existing HD programming will they still ship a 722 to me even if a technician didnt install?

i believe it should not be a problem getting a 722 shipped as a replacement for a 622 on an account. the only reason they would have to install is if it were replaceing an sd dual tuner. so even if you had a 222, they could ship you a 722.
i still think its best to just take advantage of the club dish for your parents. i know you really dont want a tech in your folks house, but if you already have everything in place most likely the tech will just show up, slap on a new lnb, hook up the reciever, check signal and be on his way. shouldnt take him no time at all. and puts 50 bucks of credits on your account.

i believe it should not be a problem getting a 722 shipped as a replacement for a 622 on an account. the only reason they would have to install is if it were replaceing an sd dual tuner. so even if you had a 222, they could ship you a 722.

That's somewhat incorrect. 95% of CSRs can't ship anything aside from the same exact equipment that exists on the account. Thank god. The system requires installs for all dual tuner HD units... The CSRs just generally tend to ignore that requirement, which has resulted in some "interesting" install photos, such as the mounts to a picnic table or the back of an up-side down RV.

Could it be done, yes. Should it be done...not usually.

i've seen that picture of the upside down rv. shipping a dual tuner to replace new model dual tuner is practical. shipping a dual tuner to replace single tuner is where the problems lie.

That's somewhat incorrect. 95% of CSRs can't ship anything aside from the same exact equipment that exists on the account. Thank god. The system requires installs for all dual tuner HD units... The CSRs just generally tend to ignore that requirement, which has resulted in some "interesting" install photos, such as the mounts to a picnic table or the back of an up-side down RV.

Could it be done, yes. Should it be done...not usually.

What's wrong with mounting to a picnic table or an upside down RV? Some country folks like out of the ordinary. Not everyone is all technical by the book. :D

I've seen tons of them in the country on trees. Then in three years the trees grow and they wonder where their signal goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)