Self Install H25 Receiver in Motorhome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomp4801

Original poster
May 16, 2013
Florida
My motorhome has a KVH in-motion satellite with dual LNB. Inside the motorhome, I have one TV that is HD and one that is older 3x4 model. Because of space constraints, I bought a new H25 receiver which is nice and small. I would like to run one of my LNB lines to the H25 for one TV and then use an older standard definition receiver for the other TV.

What do I need to accomplish this in the way of hardware and can't I do this myself? I don't have or want DVR on the motorhome. I just want to be able to use the small receiver that I bought... I don't even need to have it generating HD signals. I just like the small size and would live with it in Standard Def.

My motorhome has a KVH in-motion satellite with dual LNB. Inside the motorhome, I have one TV that is HD and one that is older 3x4 model. Because of space constraints, I bought a new H25 receiver which is nice and small. I would like to run one of my LNB lines to the H25 for one TV and then use an older standard definition receiver for the other TV.

What do I need to accomplish this in the way of hardware and can't I do this myself? I don't have or want DVR on the motorhome. I just want to be able to use the small receiver that I bought... I don't even need to have it generating HD signals. I just like the small size and would live with it in Standard Def.

:welcome Welcome to satellite Guys. Unfortunately,you need a SWM set-up for the H25 to work. While there is no reason why a H25 cannot be hooked up to a SD TV,unless things have suddenly changed & I don't know it,you need the SWM LNB with power inserter in order for the H25 to work for you. I do believe that a H24 would work for you,even though it is bigger. Please post exactly what kind of KVH in-motion satellite dish you have & hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than I can tell you if that particular model actually will work for you.

As posted, the H25 is an SWM-only receiver and won't work with that dish. In theory you can "convert" an SD dual-lnb dish to SWM, by buying an SWM8 multiswitch and associated power inserter. You connect both cables from the dish to the SWM8 and then connect the H25 to one of the SWM outputs the SWM8. You can add more receivers to the SWM8 but they ideally should be SWM compatible, which for an SD receiver means the D12. If the SD receiver is an older one, you can connect it to the legacy ports on the SWM8.

I say "in theory" because I don't know if there is anything unusual about the dish you have which would prevent it being connected to an SWM8. I don't think I have ever seen a post from anyone who has done that.

The alternative is to get another SD receiver for the RV and use the H25 at home, assuming you have an SWM system there. The H25 is almost certainly leased which means you can't sell it to anyone else.

Texasbrit is right, it should work. You connect the two cables to the 99/101 inputs of the SWM8. It's not a supported solution of course. The H25 must be set for a either an 18" round or 3-LNB dish depending on the KVM model you're using.

My antennae is a KVH R6ST. I know it is standard def. I bought the H25 on EBay and it is a new box that came with an access card and both are new and can be used by anyone with a valid account. I called Directv to confirm the RID number is valid.

Where can I get an SWM8? Is this worth doing so that I can use this compact receiver?

You may want to consider an H24 instead of the H25, it is still a small receiver (dvd player type size) and will work fine with non-swm setups.

Yes, it will work with an SWM8 and a power inserter.

So he's going to all this trouble for SD in the Motor home ?

Heres wondering if he has access tom the feed from the recvr to add the PI and splitters ....

Don't forget it is probably tied in with an amp for the OTA antenna on the rig.
Generally they have an amp or some kind of connection behind the accessible panels that combine the OTA and a Cable connection for when he's at a park that has Cable available, the D* set up might be tied into that as well.

Hard to say without seeing the set up.

So he's going to all this trouble for SD in the Motor home ?

Heres wondering if he has access tom the feed from the recvr to add the PI and splitters ....

Don't forget it is probably tied in with an amp for the OTA antenna on the rig.
Generally they have an amp or some kind of connection behind the accessible panels that combine the OTA and a Cable connection for when he's at a park that has Cable available, the D* set up might be tied into that as well.

Hard to say without seeing the set up.

The trouble is getting the H25 to work with what he has. He has to buy extra stuff just to get the H25 to work. In hindsight,it would have been easier finding out if the H25 would work for him BEFORE buying the H25. The H25 is a wonderful receiver,I have one. It just only works with a SWM set-up

The kvh is a totally seperate system not tied to any antenna or park cables in the coach. You need a swm 8 multi switch and a pi-21 power inserter. They can be had off ebay or amazon.

The swm 8 will more than likely need to be mounted on top of the coach and the power inserter needs to be behind the h25 so you can feed the power back up the coax.

The kvh switch for power will still need to be powered up so the dish can track and still be able to use the inmotion if it has it.

What we did was took the kvh off and of course we lost in motion but we put a winegard slimline in place of it so now we have full hd thru out the coach.

You will still need the swm 8 even if you switch to the winegar dish as the h25 is swm only.

Maybe that will help you out some as ive done the same switch.

Yes, he has already bought (leased?) the H25. It would have been better if he had posted here before buying it, then we could have advised him to get a non-SWM receiver. But now he has it, so getting an SWM8 and a power inserter is probably his best option. You can get an SWM8 and power inserter on ebay for about $40.

Looking at all the posts here I am not sure you have the answer to your original question; which is NO. You cannot connect an H25 box to the KVH in-motion sat. The H25 demands a SWM setup. You cannot convert the KVH to SWM. You need to completely retool your RV setup to make the H25 work.

That being said, we can offer alternatives. But, it needs to be made clear that you are stuck with SD on the KVH.
Bob

Is there any reason I can't mount the SWM8 behind the boxes where the coax feed comes down into the coach? I would rather not do it outside. Can you give me a rough sketch of how these should all be wired.. I don't know where the power inserter goes, in relation to the SWM8 and the coax coming into the coach.

Also, Is there any reason I can't run the second LNB from the KVH R6ST directly to the second TV and then put a D12 there?

OK. You are new to this technology, which is fine, but there are a few basics that need to be covered. An LNB has to point (via a magnifying reflective dish) directly at the satellite that is producing the signal. You are dealing with a weak microwave signal at this point that cannot move over a cable. It is the LNB's job to convert that microwave signal to something in a lower frequency range that can be carried over coax. So, the LNB cannot be "in-line" with anything. It has to have a clear view of the incoming signal.

Your KVM dish is only large enough to concentrate the signal from one satellite (which in DirecTV's case is 101). At most the LNB inside the dome has two cable connections on it. Moreover, the aiming computer used in the KVH setup needs to have a signal from your single LNB to do the dish aiming. It would be totally confused if it saw a SWM signal. So, modifying anything associated with the KVM setup (without total replacement) is really out of the question. (While I am not sure, I also doubt you could put a SWM-8 switch downline in the coax since those units seem to want four inputs to work.) Since your KVH dome is only capable of seeing sat 101 you would be limited to standard definition on your reception.

I know you say you are satisfied with standard def from the H25, but a D12 receiver is just not that much bigger than the H25 and it would make you life so much easier. Yes, I know you said you have already purchased/leased the H25 but you would be so much better off to find a use for it in your house.

Or, you can do what I did and just skip the existing dish and do a tripod setup when you stop. In my case I had a Datron dish that the company quit the satellite business and left no upgrade path. I was not interested in spending the $1,600 or so it would cost for a new dish and bought the tripod, slimline dish, meter, PI and do my own setup. I just take the HR24 out of the bedroom and take it along with us on trips. It fits in the overhead compartment above the windshield and I use an rf box to drive the SD receiver in the bedroom. With an HR on the road you can watch whatever show you want at whatever time you want. I would really miss that capability with a standard receiver.

I hope I am clarifying things here and not adding more confusion.
Bob

I think I understand... so adding an SWM8 and power inserter won't make my H25 work?

If I change to a D12, can I use 2 D12's one for the TV over the windshield and one for the TV in the bedroom? how would I connect those... Right now, the bedroom cable goes through a powered switch box. I assume I would have to bypass the switchbox and put the second D12 next to the bedroom TV?

Bob - The SWM8 only needs two inputs to work, not four. And the OP says his dish has two outputs, which implies a 2 lnb dish. Your comment about aiming sounds familiar, but if that's the case, how does the dish handle two receivers? With an SWM8, the dish would think it had two receivers connected, one requesting odd transponders and one even transponders, both from 101. Won't that work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts