Self install help please!

Just the opposite of what I believe is true. It's the "stinger" (coax center conductor protruding from the male connector) and what that's inserted into in my mind that indicates the gender, and I always considered an F-81 a F/F adapter. So the cable is usually terminated with a male connector. I would have said "always" but the OP might have a different situation ??

But maybe I've been wrong for the past 30+ years ??

To the OP - is it possible you have cables terminated with (what I call) male connectors and each one is screwed into an F-81 F/F barrel ??

You know what, it's funny you mention that. I never knew this was possible but my friend who I am installing for said the same thing that you did about the males possibly being connected to the F-81 F/F barrel. I will let you know if that's the case when I go over there. Thanks!

Sorry, mjstraw, but everything in this post is wrong (except "I may still be confused")! Gender is not based on the threads, but upon the signal conductor.

To the O.P., are you sure the "splitter" you refer to (on one of the lines from the dish) isn't a diplexer? That would make sense if the original installation was using a downfeed from the dish to backfeed the second room from a dual-tuner receiver. There would, of course, have to be a second diplexer at the receiver.

Brad

edit: Bhelms, you beat me to it!

Well it definitely said "splitter" on there and it was made by Monster. Unless Monster makes diplexers and it says "splitter" on there? I will have to check into this piece in more detail when I get there. Thanks!

A diplexer is different from a splitter. It's used when you want to, for instance, send both the 2-3GHz sat. signals from the LNB and the lower-frequency VHF/UHF TV signals from a TV antenna down a single piece of coax. You use one at each end, one to combine the 2 signal sources at the roof and another to "split" them again at the set. A diplexer has 2 distinct inputs / outputs, one for the lower frequencies and one for the higher frequencies, then a 3rd connector for the combined signals, and you can't switch the inputs/outputs. The sat. connectors also pass low voltage DC to power the LNBs. Example: (use "Click to enlarge")

http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=319

The splitters you linked are really for conventional TV signals either from an antenna or cable system. The inputs/outputs make no frequency distinction. The second one says "diplexer" in its description but I am dubious that it really can do that function. A splitter/combiner could be a diplexer as long as it is good to 3GHz (minimal roll-off at that frequency) and can pass DC.

The Monster products are highly overpriced. In almost all applications, a 2-way splitter/combiner you could get at Wal*Mart for less than $5 would do that job just fine...

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing! I have no idea why they are female. Anybody have ideas?
As I know of nobody that makes female F connectors, I'd suggest you look into removing the barrels from the ends of the male connectors.

Clearly you're in way over your head. I would suggest that you call DISH Network and turn the job over to them.

Self-installing is overrated and self-installing for someone else is worse.

What looks like a female end to the uninitiated is probably the typical male coax terminator. If it has a copper stinger, it is male. The two lines coming from the dish to the living room should be attached to the left rear of the recvr. at the ports marked sat input 1 and 2. Doesn't matter what order they go in. The line leaving the liv. rm. is the TV#2 line. attach the liv.rm. end to the port marked TV#2,and reroute or split that line, taking it to the bedroom. The #2 line can feed several TV's, but they will share picture with the #2 (bedroom). Just add a splitter and new lines to the bedroom,garage,patio, wherever. Don't tell dish about this, as they would prefer you get recvrs. for all rooms.

P.S. The recvr. may have a seperator attached. It looks like a splitter. If this is attached, remove it and put the two cables from the dish where the shiny separator was. If on checkswitch, one of the inputs shows up missing satellites, try attaching the separator to the line on the good input, then the separator to the rec. using short cables. What I'm saying is, if one of the lines from the dish is bad, use the separator on the good line and ignore the bad one. If both lines from sat. to liv. rm. are good, attach them straight to the recvr. without the separator. Good luck!

The #2 line can feed several TV's, but they will share picture with the #2 (bedroom). Just add a splitter and new lines to the bedroom,garage,patio, wherever. Don't tell dish about this, as they would prefer you get recvrs. for all rooms.

Don't think so. Documentation for dual-tuner receivers even talks about using the built-in attenuator when conecting directly to a TV but not when connecting to a home distribution system (what they call a "super node")

The 722 will even modulate TV1 onto the channel of your choice and combine it with the modulated TV2 channel on the TV2 RF output.

If anything, they're designing new equipment to integrate better/more easily into home distribution systems. This was one of the reasons I selected Dish over Direct.

Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts