Self Install Internet Service Only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I intend to order U-Verse internet service and use the self-install option to save $150. According to the AT&T site, I will have to pay a one time $100 fee for the 2wire gateway modem/router. I already have AT&T POTS which I intend to keep and will be running Cat 5E from my utility/telecom room to the Telco NI on the side of the house for this Internet Service. Before proceeding, I have several questions:
1. Will AT&T still send a tech out to insure my line to the Remote Terminal is acceptable? I understand that they have to condition the line sometimes. (It's about 2000 cable feet).
2. Previously, I set up my own Charter internet service, cable modem and an owned router. Would this install be signficantly more difficult?
3. What pair in the Cat 5E should I use?
4. Will there be an additional leasing fee for the 2wire?
Thanks

Even if this in an old post I'll answer it for educational purposes.

You're off better getting the $75 Motorola modem, at least in my case they also included a Linksys E1000 router (a $40 value). Also, it gives you the flexibility of using a different router (ie a DD-WRT capable unit).

1. The tech goes to your house if you cannot get service. (ie you're not getting solid green lights)
2. It is as easy as setting up cable. If everything goes fine, you'll just follow the provided instructions and activate your account over the internet.
3. Not sure about the question. Perhaps you mean the blue pair. (?)
4. No, you pay for the equipment upfront, it's yours to keep (it's probably as useless as Dish's receivers). They don't give you the option to lease it or provide your own.

Some tips and personal experience.

- In my case the external wiring in the apartment complex wasn't done (not surprised, all my neighbors have Comcast), the first time the tech came I wasn't home and the tech closed the order. I had to open a repair order (even tough I never had service in the first place). The second time, I was home, the tech ran all the necessary tests and found the problem. Turns out, if a tech comes again in less than ten days, they have to charge AT&T for the visit, otherwise they'll be fired. AT&T passes this to the customer ($55). Just call them and they'll remove the charge.

- Don't let customer support activate the account over the phone. You should be able to do it yourself. If you don't get a solid signal (solid green lights), the tech has to come and fix the line first, period. The exception, off course, would be if you have a solid signal and cannot activate.

- The chat support is useless, and you have to be very patience with the phone support. Good news is at least they were very kind and tried their best to help. For example if they have to transfer you to another department, they will stay with you until you get transferred. Don't let them "call you back".
It took me at least five phone calls and a couple of hours combined to get the service up and running, off course it will vary depending on where you live.
In theory it should only take a few minutes on your activation date.

Funny thing is they also call their traditional DSL service "U-Verse". So, you go through U-Verse support even if you sub to 768k DSL.

Last edited:
Even if this in an old post I'll answer it for educational purposes.

You're off better getting the $75 Motorola modem, at least in my case they also included a Linksys E1000 router (a $40 value). Also, it gives you the flexibility of using a different router (ie a DD-WRT capable unit).

1. The tech goes to your house if you cannot get service. (ie you're not getting solid green lights)
2. It is as easy as setting up cable. If everything goes fine, you'll just follow the provided instructions and activate your account over the internet.
3. Not sure about the question. Perhaps you mean the blue pair. (?)
4. No, you pay for the equipment upfront, it's yours to keep (it's probably as useless as Dish's receivers). They don't give you the option to lease it or provide your own.

Some tips and personal experience.

- In my case the external wiring in the apartment complex wasn't done (not surprised, all my neighbors have Comcast), the first time the tech came I wasn't home and the tech closed the order. I had to open a repair order (even tough I never had service in the first place). The second time, I was home, the tech ran all the necessary tests and found the problem. Turns out, if a tech comes again in less than ten days, they have to charge AT&T for the visit, otherwise they'll be fired. AT&T passes this to the customer ($55). Just call them and they'll remove the charge.

- Don't let customer support activate the account over the phone. You should be able to do it yourself. If you don't get a solid signal (solid green lights), the tech has to come and fix the line first, period. The exception, off course, would be if you have a solid signal and cannot activate.

- The chat support is useless, and you have to be very patience with the phone support. Good news is at least they were very kind and tried their best to help. For example if they have to transfer you to another department, they will stay with you until you get transferred. Don't let them "call you back".
It took me at least five phone calls and a couple of hours combined to get the service up and running, off course it will vary depending on where you live.
In theory it should only take a few minutes on your activation date.

Funny thing is they also call their traditional DSL service "U-Verse". So, you go through U-Verse support even if you sub to 768k DSL.

I have done a lot of research since starting this thread. You have standard DSL service with the Motorola modem and share the POTS cable pair with the DSL which by convention uses blue/blue-white. That is too slow and unavailable to me and the reason I will go with U-verse internet service, which BTW, uses ADSL2+ or VDSL technology. The typical AT&T color code convention for Cat 3 & 5 is blue/blue white: first phone line, orange/orange white: second phone line, green/green white: U-verse and brown/brown white unused. My U-verse wiring will use the brown wires too in case AT&T goes to pair bonding. U-verse also uses a 2-wire gateway (3800HGV-B 2-wire gateway in my area) which has an integral router vice a Motorola DSL modem which WILL NOT support U-verse. Setting up a separate router behind the 3800HGV-B router LAN port can be done but is tricky and not straight forward like your plain DSL modem and separate router. Also U-verse requires a minimum of CAT 3 wiring and will not work on the older 2 pair telephone wiring that is prevelent in homes older than about 12-15 years. Plain DSL will work on the older wiring however. Now that the weather is good, I'll quit procrastinating and run the 5E.

While your post may be well intentioned, it would mislead folks considering "real" U-verse service in this U-verse forum. In a DSL forum it probably would be useful to some.

Agreed, AT&T is misleading by selling traditional DSL service under the U-Verse brand. Admin, please move my previous post to the DSL forum.

I would have signed for real uverse, unfortunately it is still not available in this "remote" (only 40 mi from the Loop) part of Indiana.

For now 3 mbps will have to do.

Bogus charges may still happen though regardless of service :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)