Yet another DTV install - internet question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ukrbmw

Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Guys,

I've spent the last 6 hours reading this forum and seem convinced to go DTV route. I first ordered Dish, had everything written down and quoted, turned out the guy didn't tell me about one of the discounts that was going away 3 months later and what seemed to be a $30 difference in price over DTV quickly became $6. No problem, waited for installer but I only have 1 RG6 line coming in to the house and he didn't want to run another without his manager. Waited for almost a week to hear back from his manager, still nothing. Got fed up and cancelled it this morning.

So now for the question. As mentioned I only have 1 line running in to my Smart Box. I want to keep my cable internet, since DSL here is pretty pathetic and it's the only thing I can do to keep decent speeds. If I order DTV will they run a second line to the box? If so, does it cost extra? I'm ordering international programing in addition to regular TV and will be spending a bunch of money on monthly basis, just feel like somebody should go the extra mile.

I also have AAA membership, is that pretty much going to be the best deal in addition to the offers on DTV site?

Thanks.

Whether you have 1 or 7 RG6 lines coming into the house already has no bearing whatsoever on the install if they are already in use for something else. They are supposed to run brand new lines for the dish, not try to diplex (piggyback) onto what's already there just to save themselves a couple bucks. They shouldn't even be thinking about it unless you specifically ask them (ie: you don't want extra cable running across the side of the house or something), and even then it's iffy because existing cable is more often than not unsuitable for satellite for one reason or another.

Basically the standard (free) install includes up to 75' of cable per TV, run exposed on the surface. If you want the wires fished through walls or otherwise concealed, that is an extra hourly charge (and you will have to let them know ahead of time). If you feel you can do this yourself, you can save yourself some money on the fishing charges. Get yourself a 500' spool of 3GHz RG6 for about $50, and pull runs from each TV to a central location (like a closet on an exterior wall, the attic, or the basement). Don't worry about the ends, the installer will put quality compression ends on.

Aside from the referral bonus (if you know someone with DirecTV, get their account number, and you and them get an extra $10 off per month for 10 months) which can be stacked on top of ANY other discounts, definitely do the AAA ($10 off per month for 20 months). To get the AAA discount you MUST call the special 800 number on the AAA website to set up your installation. If you call the regular DirecTV number, they can not add the discount.

Edit: I just reread your post and thought of something.. This 'Smart Box' you mentioned.. Is this one of those 'wiring closet' type panels where your cable/network/telephone/audio/etc all comes together? Is it a newer house where that was all prewired during construction? If so, again as long as you are OK with a surface wired install or pay for fishing (or fish a new cable yourself), then I see no problem. Wiring closets are generally 'home run' wired, which means every outlet comes straight back to the panel, and there should not be any splitters in weird places. There is only one large splitter in the panel. If that's the case, then the new DirecTV splitter (SWiM) and Internet module (DECA) can be installed there and all you would need is the one new line out to the dish.

Last edited:
Interesting. That is exactly what I have, big box in the closet where all the wires come together for absolutely everything.

The one thing I have a question with is you say you only have 1 line into the panel. Is this panel in the middle of the finished basement? Kind of wonder if that is the case, since Dish made it sound like it was a problem to get lines into the panel.

I think the Dish guy was just in over his head.
But, do you have RG6 already run to the rooms that have TVs? is that what his problem was?

No what I got out of the OP was that the installer didn't want to be bothered running a new line to the wiring cabinet for whatever reason, and made up an excuse that he couldn't diplex onto the existing line.

Now while it isn't required, the majority of finished basements have drop or panel ceilings to keep access to plumbing, ductwork, and wiring. So even a finished basement shouldn't be an impediment to running coax to the cabinet.

Nope, no basement. Basically there is one line running in to the wall and to the box. I have Cable internet and Dish guy basically explained that he can't use that line or I will lose my internet. His solution was to run an extra wire, which I didn't mind, but it required drilling a hole in my floor and pulling it through my crawl space. For whatever reason his Super needed to come look at it and was going to call me back. I never heard back. Called Dish back to ask what was going on and lady couldn't really tell me, so I cancelled it.

Now I'm looking at DTV instead. I'm guessing they will have the same problem.

PS Yes, there is a separate line running from the box to the TV outlet in each room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts