self install

bubbaduck

Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
South US
Dish will not sell me a system unless they install it. I an 75 and have medical conditions that will not allow people in my house. I have installed all my dishaes bacj to the cbands til lately. My question, if I buy the hopper duo or 3 will they acvte and sell me the packages. I really want to get rid of the dorect tv deal I have.Thanks

Yes, if your dish and receiver are already installed, then all you have to do is call Dish and get them to open a new account to activate it. It may be a matter of getting in touch with the right person at Dish, though. Their sales team seems to want to push leased receivers, so they can lock new customers into a two-year contract.

As Crodrules said, getting your own equipment activated is not a problem, although it might take a couple of calls to hit a CSR that doesn't press for a contract. One caveat when buying receivers though, make sure you're buying from a reputable seller that will back up the sale if there's any problems. Buying used on eBay in particular can be an issue if the seller is pushing equipment that has not been cleared by Dish because of an outstanding balance on an account. The receiver ID numbers can be verified by Dish before purchasing, and if a seller won't provide them, look elsewhere. New in the box units are not typically a problem though.

One reliable online retailer is Solid Signal, but there are others as well

As Crodrules said, getting your own equipment activated is not a problem, although it might take a couple of calls to hit a CSR that doesn't press for a contract. One caveat when buying receivers though, make sure you're buying from a reputable seller that will back up the sale if there's any problems. Buying used on eBay in particular can be an issue if the seller is pushing equipment that has not been cleared by Dish because of an outstanding balance on an account. The receiver ID numbers can be verified by Dish before purchasing, and if a seller won't provide them, look elsewhere. New in the box units are not typically a problem though.

Thanks, sent text

Since bubbaduck expressed an interest in buying my used Hopper Duo in my thread in the Classifieds section, I just want to state for the record that I will stand behind the sale. I will be happy to provide the Receiver ID number and Smart Card Number in a private message, if requested. Also, my Dish account actually has a credit balance on it at the moment (meaning that Dish owes me money) so there would not be any problem with an outstanding balance, either. :)

Reactions: bubbaduck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)