Self installed an 811 today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
I had trouble getting the component video to output HDTV. I called Dish and they could not help. I was the first one to call about the 811 and was transferred to advanced Tech support but no one could solve the problem.

I hope I can save someone the trouble that I solved myself by reading the instructions on page 21. Some televisions automatically adjust to 1080i or 720p. My RCA 3810 only does 1080i. The 811 was set for 720p. I spent an hour on the phone with tech support and they did not know that in the menu of the 811 there is a place to adjust the resolution. I pressed MENU 6-1-9 and set it to 1080i.

HDTV can only be accesed by the component or DVI. HDTV channels on RCA or S vidio outputs only displays in letter box.

Yeah thats really dumb it defaults to 720p because most monitors are 1080i. This means you cant SEE the menus to adjust it unless you hook up with the s-video or composite inputs first.

dmodemd said:
Yeah thats really dumb it defaults to 720p because most monitors are 1080i. This means you cant SEE the menus to adjust it unless you hook up with the s-video or composite inputs first.

not really - almost every monitor upconverts 720p to 1080i, or downconverts it to native res, in the case of an EDTV. It's more a case of the RCA 3810 sucking eggs :rolleyes:

hancox said:
dmodemd said:

not really - almost every monitor upconverts 720p to 1080i, or downconverts it to native res, in the case of an EDTV. It's more a case of the RCA 3810 sucking eggs :rolleyes:

I don't know, my Mitsubishi 65908 goes blank when I set my Model 6000 to 720P. The component input will accept 480I, 480P, or 1080I only. It will not convert 720P at all.

I don't know, my Mitsubishi 65908 goes blank when I set my Model 6000 to 720P. The component input will accept 480I, 480P, or 1080I only. It will not convert 720P at all.

My Hitachi (native rate of 1080i) still outputs a picture at 720p. On another forum a year ago, there was a discussion about getting better quality SD pictures so we wouldn't have to switch back and forth between HD/SD on the 6000's remote and change inputs on the TV. One guy wrote that he changed his setting to 720p and got better SD for one reason or another. I think is was a load of "crate" but I tried it and my Hitachi still showed a picture through component video cables with the 6000 set to 720p. I think it has to do with whether your tv will lock into 1080i only through component video cables or whether it has the ability to "down-res" to 540p from the 720p.

Stacy

thats interesting, I know my mit wont upvert to 720p in fact I belive there is no mit that will do 720p its 480, or 1020i

quickie question

newbie question...

i have one of the older dishes, the 301? i want to buy the 811 from a retailer and do a self-install.

to install it myself, would it be as simple as taking the old receiver out and plugging that connection from the dish into the 811? what i'm asking is, is that connection the same for all dish network receivers from the dish? it looks like a coaxial cable.

i preapologize for my newbieness.

It is the same. In addition, there is a second antenna connection (F connector) for cable or antenna.

What cables are supplied with 811 ?

Ray,

I just ordered the 811 through DISH and they are going to install it this SAT 12-5PM. I want to use the DVI out put for HD and asked about the cables supplied with 811. The CSR did not know for sure. Can you tell us what type of cables were included in the box ?. Thank you very much.

the only cable that I have heard mentioned is a componet cable but NO DIV cable is included

gpflepsen, thanks.

i am probably going it buy it for retail price to install it myself.

another question... will i need to call them to active the machine or anything? or will it work immediately after i switch the receivers.

also, does the dish pick up off-air hdtv channels or do we plug an an antenna into the 811 for that?

babyjayc said:
i am probably going it buy it for retail price to install it myself.

another question... will i need to call them to active the machine or anything? or will it work immediately after i switch the receivers.

also, does the dish pick up off-air hdtv channels or do we plug an an antenna into the 811 for that?

Why spend an additional $250 just so you can install yourself?

You need to call to activate receiver.

With the antenna connected to the antenna input, all broadcast TV will be available, analog, digital and HD.

Dish goes to satellite input
antenna goes to antenna input

The 6000 puts out 720p? I thought it upconverted everything to 1080i?

Has DISH lost it again? Why won't they let you do a self install? I would think self-installs should cost DISH a lot less money.

I installed my 4900 and 6000 no problem. The 811 should be equally easy.

i dont understand the reasoning behind Dish not letting us self-install.. can someone enlighten me? :?:

what about later on, perhaps they will ease up? :(

The reasoning is that too many people can't do it, they get frustrated, and then quit Dish before they ever get the service working. Then Dish has to refund, accept returned hardware and all of the other headaches.

it just easier for them to say "we'll take care of this"

i dont understand the reasoning behind Dish not letting us self-install.. can someone enlighten me?

They offered it to me either way.. with a "few strings".

Option 1 - get it as an add-on (more on this below)

Option 2- Ship it as self install, BUT self install required sending in an old receiver, i.e. swap out. This would not be a big deal for me because I have an old 2700 junker in my guest cottage that I am replacing with a 322 when available anyway.

BUT I first asked which way would get it to me faster, she said 5-7 days shipping on the self install, or it could be installed as add-on this Sunday PM.

No brainer for me to get the free install "add-on" and get it sooner. Due to my current hardware configuration this means they will have to run another 100' feed across my lawn to my house and inside to another bedroom AND install another DP34 !! I have been planning to do this exact thing myself soon on my dime/time, this way I get it done FREE !!

Soon as installer is gone the 811 will be moved to the media room where a "hole" was made from selling the 6000 this week and that bedroom will be ready for a $25 301 from Ebay !!

Bottom line is be a little patient with getting the free install version and use the "silly system" against them to your advantage!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)