Senate Fails To Pass Satellite Extension Extension

Scott,
I am going to write an e-mail to ceo@echostar.com asking them to reconsider the policy of not giving guide information to OTA channels for those of us that don't buy locals if locals are not available. With distants not available, I will have to set timers for every broadcast TV show which is a nightmare. However, I was wondering if you had any contacts at Dish that you could talk to about people who are in my situation?

Thanks,
Jeremy

I have been told the reason for that is because they need to pay Tribune for the local guide data based on the number of customers being served, to turn that data on to folks that dont subscribe to locals is a big expense.

I don't see them changing that policy unfortunately.

Here is what I wrote. I told them I would even pay (I would be a lot less than I am paying for distant nets right now):

Charlie,
As you know the Senate failed to extend STELA (Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act) that is supposed to expire on February 28. That means on March 1, I will be without the distant network channels that I purchase from All American Direct. Although I know that you do not sell distant networks, this will leave me without any network channels available on Satellite. However, I am able to view the channels through my antenna. I have two 622 receivers that connected to the antenna. The problem is that local channels are not available in my DMA and because of this, I am not able to purchase local channels from Dish Network.

Dish Network has a policy of providing guide information for antenna digital channels over the air if the customer also purchases the local channels. However, since I cannot purchase local channels, I do not have guide information for my antenna channels. I would gladly purchase local channels or even pay for the guide information. Having the distant networks has allowed me to have guide information for network channels however. If I lose them, I will lose guide information for all network channels.

The reason that I am writing is to ask you to consider changing your policy of only providing guide information for those that purchase local channels through dish for those customers that do not live in a DMA that dish provides local channels. I live in St. Joseph, MO and I can receive some channels from Kansas City, MO. For four months in 2008, I was getting guide information through what was probably a technical glitch, so I know it is possible for Dish Network to provide me the guide information, but you choose not to.

The reason that I am asking for this is because it becomes a burden for me to record all the shows that we like to watch using manual timers. The 622 uses name based recording which is a technology that I love, but if I do not have guide data, then I can not take advantage of this feature. As I said before, I would gladly pay for the guide information.

I have been told the reason for that is because they need to pay Tribune for the local guide data based on the number of customers being served, to turn that data on to folks that dont subscribe to locals is a big expense.

I don't see them changing that policy unfortunately.

This doesn't make sense. I get local guide data for an un-subbed HR10-250 via DirecTV. I know it's a different company but wouldn't the rulese be the same for both? Sounds like another white lie to me.

Bunning's opposition was not to the satellite bill, but to provisions related to unemployment insurance extensions in the package.

??? Why is unemployement insurance tied to the satellite bill?

Same reason guns in parks was tied to the credit card bill?

Credit Card Bill Allows Guns in National Parks

The only way to make true progress is to require that these amendments cannot be attached to bills that are not related. DNS/Significantly Viewed/ and the requirement for Dish to provide locals to all before being allowed to import distants makes sense and should be negotiated under one umbrella. Outside interests should not be a consideration.

it makes sense because D* provides those channels... what's being asked for is guide data for channel's E* doesn't carry.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Scott's quote said it has to do with number of customers served, not channels.

it makes sense because D* provides those channels... what's being asked for is guide data for channel's E* doesn't carry.

No. I am asking for guide data for channels that E* does carry. They carry the Kansas City channels which I can get OTA and I was able to get the guide data for them for 4 months (why I could I don't know) so I know it is possible.

both points are valid, does guide data go away when you dont sub to a channel? they are probably paid for per dma, no turning them on just for the 15 people that want to pay for it in a dma.

I bet the channels arent dropped, and things will continue as is untill congress gets around to its job.

They wouldnt get shut off........

No. I am asking for guide data for channels that E* does carry. They carry the Kansas City channels which I can get OTA and I was able to get the guide data for them for 4 months (why I could I don't know) so I know it is possible.

I don't get it. You say in your email you would pay for guide data (which comes with a subscription to LiL), and LiL is available to you. Just sign up for LiL.

Speaking of which, how are you allowed to get distants if you get locals OTA, and locals are available on Dish? No offense, but it sounds like you are trying to have your cake and eat it, getting LiL and distants.

I don't get it. You say in your email you would pay for guide data (which comes with a subscription to LiL), and LiL is available to you. Just sign up for LiL.

Speaking of which, how are you allowed to get distants if you get locals OTA, and locals are available on Dish? No offense, but it sounds like you are trying to have your cake and eat it, getting LiL and distants.

Because I can't get KC channels through Dish. I live in the St. Joseph, MO DMA, not the KC DMA. KC is 60 miles from me. I can get the channels OTA, but the signal degrades if I split it on more than 2 TV's. (And some channels go in and out at times) I have 8 TV's in my house, so the other 6 TV's would be without network channels.

I am not trying to have my cake and eat it too. I pay almost $40 a month for all of the distant nets right now. I would gladly pay for the KC channels also if it would get me the guide information and have them available on dish.

Because I can't get KC channels through Dish. I live in the St. Joseph, MO DMA, not the KC DMA. KC is 60 miles from me. I can get the channels OTA, but the signal degrades if I split it on more than 2 TV's. (And some channels go in and out at times) I have 8 TV's in my house, so the other 6 TV's would be without network channels.

I am not trying to have my cake and eat it too. I pay almost $40 a month for all of the distant nets right now. I would gladly pay for the KC channels also if it would get me the guide information and have them available on dish.

OK, I get it. Just sounded contradictory when you said you couldn't get LiL, then said you could.

What you need is the new bill so Dish can profitably serve the St. Joseph DMA.

Folks while this is a great political debate I want to remind folks about the political talk rule here at SatelliteGuys. If we let political talk go it just gets into a big argument with lots of people getting upset. Remember we are a satellite site first.

With that said if you do want to discuss the politics of this please visit our sister site which is a great place to talk politics that site is SonicBabble - Where America Debates America! - Powered by vBulletin :)

Thanks for your understanding!
Good idea, Scott. I started a thread at SonicBabble for those that do want to discuss the political aspects.
Senate Fails to Pass Satellite Extension Extension - SonicBabble - Where America Debates America!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)