Senate Fails To Pass Satellite Extension Extension

Senate Adjourns Without Satellite License Renewal

UPDATE -

Senate Adjourns Without Satellite License Renewal

Eventual Bill May Need To Run For 10 Years To Meet Pay-Go Requirements
John Eggerton -- Multichannel News, 2/26/2010 4:23:11 PM

The Senate adjourned Friday without voting to extend satellite operators' license to deliver network-affiliated TV station signals to their subscribers.

That means that, unless the Senate is called back into session by Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), that license expires midnight Feb. 28.

The Senate failed to approve a package of extensions for various laws with Feb. 28 deadlines, including COBRA and unemployment insurance benefits and the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act after a single Senator took issue with the effect of extending the insurance and unemployment benefits on the deficit.

The House had already passed the extensions by unanimous consent, but Senator Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) held up a similar effort to pass it Thursday night in the Senate, according to several Hill sources.

"As it stands, said one Republican staffer on background, "the Senate is in recess and the bill has not been extended."

The Majority leader could not be reached for comment.

Republican sources said they have had a deal for weeks with all four relevant commmittees (House and Senate Commerce and Judiciary) on a bill, with tougher conditions for Dish's reentry into the distant-signal business, but that leadership would not separate it out from a jobs bill that has yet to be voted on, betting that the extension would pass. Those tougher conditions were apparently what stood in the way of the original bill pass back in December, when a 60-day extension was passed along with the unemployment and COBRA elements that have become the sticking points this time around.

The sources also said the House had some problems with a five-year extension meeting new pay-as-you-go budget rules, but that the Republicans and satekholder were also OK with a 10-year extension, which would have been enough time for the bill to score deficit-neutral.

The tougher Dish conditions include changing the $250,000 per incident penality to a floor of $250,000 and as much as $5 million per incident if the No. 2 DBS provider did not make a good-faith effort to reach all 210 local markets, which was its side of the bargain to allow it to deliver distant signals directly instead of through a third-party per a court order.

"We offered as early as this morning to call up the 10-year framework and go, and that just wasn't done," said the Republican staffer. He said Republicans weren't thrilled with the 10-year extension given that the framework of the bill may need tweaking given developments in the market.

The bill acknowledges that with calls for studies of how the license should apply to fixing so-called split markets, and whether there should be a license at all.

"Waiting 10 years to revisit may not be the best idea, but in talking to all the stakeholders, we got to the point where people said, 'look, if 10 years has to be the period to extend this notwithstanding other people's parochial concerns...to hold the House with the pay-go issue, let's just do it.' No one objected to a 10-year extension among the stakeholder community or among congressional offices as far as I know."

A stand-alone 30-day extension of SHVERA (now called STELA, or the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act), could have run into pay-go problems as well. Even that brief extension would create $2 million in accounting charges that would have to be offset, according to sources. Packaging it with other extensions would allow the entire bill to be deficit neutral, even if individual elements were not.

I live in the west, I really enjoyed getting the eastern locals when they were available. I also loved the baseball package when Dish had it, seems like the stuff I really like is gone but I have 250 channels of which I watch about 25 or thirty!!!!!!!!

DirecTV has a special channel up on 363. It says I'm not authorized to view the channel, but the info says "Important call to action for Kentucky distant signal subscribers".

If the distants are about to go dark Mar 1, this should IMHO be front page news whether or not it's politics.

Dang I thought I put it up there this morning...

I remember typing it.
;) I can claim a "senior moment" even though I'm middle aged. But I thought you are still a young whipper snapper so what's your excuse?

So (I ask the ether) what's worse? Forgetting to do something, or remembering something that never happened? :D

I have been told the reason for that is because they need to pay Tribune for the local guide data based on the number of customers being served, to turn that data on to folks that dont subscribe to locals is a big expense.

I don't see them changing that policy unfortunately.
This doesn't make sense. Dish doesn't have to pay Tribune ANYTHING for guide data for OTA stations. That information comes WITH RECEPTION OF THE OTA SIGNAL. It's called PSIP. Every TV & converter box sold today MUST be able to display the PSIP data. Every local broadcaster MUST send the PSIP data. So the data is in the receivers. Dish would just need some software written to extract the PSIP data and put it in the guide. The data must be in a common form in order for all the different manufacturers of TVs & set top boxes.

Refusing to use a free, readily available data stream, instead forcing customers to pay for data, AND claming they'd have to pay a 3rd party for the data? Shame, shame Dish.

The ONLY caveat is how much guide data a TV station will send... some do a week, some do a day, others are in between.

Article from thehill.com

Courtesy of thehill.com

DISH, DirecTV licenses set to expire due to hold-ups on the Hill
By Kim Hart - 02/26/10 06:40 PM ET
Rural viewers who rely on DISH and DirecTV for their satellite TV service may be missing a few of their favorite channels come Monday morning.

The companies' licenses to deliver distant network affiliate TV signals to viewers will expire at midnight on Sunday. A measure to extend the licenses was part of a proposal to extend unemployment benefits and other expiring tax provisions.

But the extenders package has been held up in the Senate, leaving the satellite licenses to expire along with unemployment insurance, which also expires Sunday night.

Congress has called on DISH and DirecTV to continue to carry distant signals to customers even after their licenses expire.

The satellite companies' licenses allow them to import distant TV network affiliates to viewers who can't receive their local affiliates through broadcast or cable service.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt) and ranking member Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) sent a letter to the companies asking them to "temporarily maintain the status quo in such an event in order to avoid disrupting the provision of 'lifeline' network programming to hundreds of thousands of Americans."

House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers (D-Mich.) and ranking member Lamar Smith (R-Texas) also signed onto the letter.

The DISH and DirecTV licenses were to be extended until March 28 to allow more time for a long-term reauthorization to make it through Congress. That reauthorization is part of the jobs bill still awaiting action.

Source:
DISH, DirecTV licenses set to expire due to hold-ups on the Hill - The Hill's Hillicon Valley
The contents of this site are © 2010 Capitol Hill Publishing Corp., a subsisiary of News Communications, Inc.

Big line here is that Congress has asked both companies to continue broadcasting for the time being. Great news!!!

Because Dish Network does not give me guide information for the OTA's if you also don't buy locals (which I can't because they don't have my locals). Also, it gives me the option to record more than one show at a time. I could care less about the commercials. I record everything and skip through the commercials and I don't watch the local news. Also, I still want to watch the shows that are on CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. It doesn't matter if they are CBS2 in Chicago on KCTV5 in Kansas City.
True enough and we do the same, record shows whne not at home, etc and skip through commercials. However not everyone has a dvr. Also many markets have really good local programming that even someone out of OTA range might want to watch.

This doesn't make sense. Dish doesn't have to pay Tribune ANYTHING for guide data for OTA stations. That information comes WITH RECEPTION OF THE OTA SIGNAL. It's called PSIP. Every TV & converter box sold today MUST be able to display the PSIP data. Every local broadcaster MUST send the PSIP data. So the data is in the receivers. Dish would just need some software written to extract the PSIP data and put it in the guide. The data must be in a common form in order for all the different manufacturers of TVs & set top boxes.

Refusing to use a free, readily available data stream, instead forcing customers to pay for data, AND claming they'd have to pay a 3rd party for the data? Shame, shame Dish.

The ONLY caveat is how much guide data a TV station will send... some do a week, some do a day, others are in between.

Excellent point:):up:up:up:up

Folks while this is a great political debate I want to remind folks about the political talk rule here at SatelliteGuys. If we let political talk go it just gets into a big argument with lots of people getting upset. Remember we are a satellite site first.

With that said if you do want to discuss the politics of this please visit our sister site which is a great place to talk politics that site is SonicBabble - Where America Debates America! - Powered by vBulletin :)

Thanks for your understanding!

Scott, the issue in this thread has occured because of "politics" -- do you disagree with me? I think in certain circumstances you should allow some political discussion on the main board -- as it pertains to an issue like this -- and delete those rare ones that go overboard. This potential loss of distant networks is affecting subscribers who are of many different political mindsets -- but I'm sure we're all "reaching across the aisle" on this.

Just my nickel's worth...

Eric

Can anyone clarify just which subscribers this affects...

1) ANYONE receiving local Big 4 (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) networks, regardless of whether they are local or distant
2) ANYONE receiving the Big 4 networks from OUTSIDE their local DMA? (ie: someone in central Kansas getting the NY affils)
3) Those receiving distant locals despite Dish offering THEIR locals (ie: someone in St. Louis getting the NY affils)
4) Those receiving distant locals because Dish doesn't offer THEIR locals (yet).

sam_gordon said:
Can anyone clarify just which subscribers this affects...
On Dish Network, it is anyone that gets programming from All-America Direct. There is also a question on whether or not superstations are affected.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt) and ranking member Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) sent a letter to the companies asking them to "temporarily maintain the status quo in such an event in order to avoid disrupting the provision of 'lifeline' network programming to hundreds of thousands of Americans."
Color me jaded, but does anyone see a problem with this?

Congress passed a bill and the President signed into law various versions of this bill since Ronald Reagan signed the first SHVA in 1988. Because the law has a sunset provision, "distant locals" has been revisited at least almost every five years.

Congress cannot get its act together to get this extension passed. The law, along with the authority and the various compensation provisions expires. As in "is no longer valid".

So members of Congress are basically sending a letter to DirecTV and Dish Network asking them to break the law, simply because Congress couldn't do their job?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts