Senate Fails To Pass Satellite Extension Extension

According to ABC news tonight Senator Jim Bunning blocked the bill because he wanted the $10 billion price tag to be paid for by TARP/stimulus money, but Senator Reid refused.

This "paid for" concept is complete nonsense.

Greece is in serious trouble, because they gave up the ability to print their own money, when they adopted the Euro.

China is doing well, because they can print money to get them over the downturn, and there is no opposition party to prevent them from doing it.

US is doing middling, because we can print money, but we have an opposition who come up with bull like "we are spending too much money", in order to keep the spending down, in order to keep the recession going so that the other party does not get credit for a recovery.

PS This is not political, either party would do the same if the other party were in power.

The point is that I saw them talking on some national cable news channels yesterday, that the bill will come up again and be passed between this week and next. Especially since there is a lot of pressure by the media on this senator now . They are all screaming hypocrite and it is making the minority power look bad. So if they keep the sat bill attached to it, it will pass too.

According to ABC news tonight Senator Jim Bunning blocked the bill because he wanted the $10 billion price tag to be paid for by TARP/stimulus money, but Senator Reid refused.
This whole matter is a political issue. Without getting into political name calling, here are the pertinent facts. The House and Senate attempted to get a continuing spending resolution bill passed by unanimous consent. This bill contained money for many projects and programs. Enough goodies for just about everyone. However, there was no provision for how to pay for the $10 Billion price tag. This is the main objection by Sen. Bunning. He wants the Senate leadership to pay for this bill by cutting spending somewhere else or use unspent stimulus money. This could have been avoided if the Senate and House had a real vote and not used the unanimous consent procedure.

However, there was no provision for how to pay for the $10 Billion price tag. This is the main objection by Sen. Bunning. He wants the Senate leadership to pay for this bill by cutting spending somewhere else or use unspent stimulus money.
What a novel concept, yet foreign to Congress...

Sen. Bunning blocked another jobs bill action today. The headlines seem to focus on the unemployment benefits and job aspect----which is appropriate. But does anyone know if the satellite provisions are still tied to the jobs bill?

However, there was no provision for how to pay for the $10 Billion price tag. This is the main objection by Sen. Bunning.

He voted against the bill that requires spending to be paid for !

And, like almost all Senators, he has voted in favor of hundreds of billions of dollars of unpaid-for spending over the past 10 years.

Again, same for both parties...

He voted against the bill that requires spending to be paid for !

And, like almost all Senators, he has voted in favor of hundreds of billions of dollars of unpaid-for spending over the past 10 years.

Again, same for both parties...
That is not true. SHow where that is fact.
Read the thread.
Bunning wanted the bill to be funded by TARP. Sen Amjority leader Reid refused. SO Bunning held up the bill by not granting consent. In this to move the bill forward, unanimous consent is required.
What is "unpaid for spending"?
Do you mean "unfunded federal mandates"?
THis concludes my participation in the political side of this thread...
This one should be moved to the apporiate forum.

Yes to continue to political discussion of this thread please continue it at SonicBabble.COM :)

As hard as it may be lets keep the politics out of it here at SatelliteGuys. I know thats tough with this subject. :)

Thanks!

I would have blocked it too.

Things requiring unanimous consent shouldn't involve new spending. If they want to do that, then go through the regular process.

Very few things go through Congress involving unanimous consent, and rightfully so, as they short circuit the process without time to look at things. There's a reason that the Constitution allows a single Representative/Senator to request an actual vote take place.

The only reason things are to a head, is because both parties took their own sweet time on this.

Yes to continue to political discussion of this thread please continue it at SonicBabble.COM :)

As hard as it may be lets keep the politics out of it here at SatelliteGuys. I know thats tough with this subject.
Scott, the discussion so far hasn't gotten "political". It's talking about "government". There is a difference.

This issue is a politically based issue and needs to be discussed as one. If it did not have aspects that brought to this forum it would be a moot point. There are many things that are being said that are not completely factual and need to be addressed to set the record straight. I for one saw the CSPAN proceedings, the analysis and the powers that be follow up. The points being made are close but not complete, as I said. So if we can't discuss it and get it straightened out. Your only recourse is to lock the thread. Because there is no other conversation on this subject that will not be political.

Last edited:
I agree

Scott, the discussion so far hasn't gotten "political". It's talking about "government". There is a difference.

I agree w/ Bill here on this. It isn't talking a what the dems or the repubs are doing or why. It is talking about what 1 person did and his $$ reasons not any kind of party lines.

I agree w/ Bill here on this. It isn't talking a what the dems or the repubs are doing or why. It is talking about what 1 person did and his $$ reasons not any kind of party lines.

The whole point of the situation is why this happened which is political and nobody has accurately outlined why it happened, although it would be an easy few liner, which would fall under Scott's ban of political conversation.

The whole point of the situation is why this happened which is political and nobody has accurately outlined why it happened, although it would be an easy few liner, which would fall under Scott's ban of political conversation.

I understand that and its a fine line we are walking. I have already removed a few posts from this thread with people saying stuff like "This wouldn't have happened if we elected (Insert Canidate name here" and "I blame the (whatever) party for dragging their feet in congress." talk.

Those posts just went POOF. Magically gone. :)

Things requiring unanimous consent shouldn't involve new spending.
Is it new spending? Or continuing old spending?:D

ETA: I do believe Bunning is playing political games, but no different than a Democrat would do if this was a push by the Republicans. IMO, Dems tried to slide through and Bunning blocked them (right or wrong on either side).

Essentially all that needs to happen is the bill be brought to the floor of the Senate and voted on. I doubt there would be an attempt at filabuster since 99 other senators did not object. The problem is that the agenda of the Senate is all booked up or something like that and they do not "have the time" to debate the bill. Looks like now they will have to find the time.

I don't have locals in my DMA; therefore, I don't have guide information for my OTA. The other problem is if I want to record two shows at once, I can't with a 622 that I have if I lose my distant nets. So don't say it is only important if you cannot get locals by over the air antenna. Those of you that have locals available via satellite and OTA have options that I don't have and distant nets make up for that.
The 622 has a port on the back that you can hook an OTA antenna into and scan in your locals that the antenna picks up. Then you can record off that cause they will appear on your guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)