Senior CNET Writer Resigns Over Dish Controversy

So Dish is Osama Bin Laden now? Rofl. DirecTV trolls are in full force tonight!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Don't think anyone will lose sleep over the hopper not winning/being disqualified from some lame award.....time to move past this b.s.......

flame on.........

Geez. Pay attention. This isn't about Dish or its award. It's about integrity of a news organization and its heavy-handedness over its subsidiaries. :rolleyes:

Geez. Pay attention. This isn't about Dish or its award. It's about integrity of a news organization and its heavy-handedness over its subsidiaries. :rolleyes:

so you actually think ANY news organizations have ANY integrity......Do you watch the news? they are ALL sellouts!!! when you own the information you can spin it anyway.....I think John Mayer said that.......WHO GIVES A F**K

Yeah, I thought CNET had some integrity and objectivity. Now I know better.

Last edited:
Certainly you do, or you wouldn't be in this thread spewing.

I guess you have point, but.......................................................................................I don't drink the kool aid..........................most of the time anyway........

More than that.

17??? Jeez. It used to be as little as 8. Take a look at DVD's or streaming videos of older TV shows. Early '60's shows like Outer Limits are 52 minutes. '70's and 80's shows like Starsky and Hutch or Hart to Hart are 50. 90's shows like NYPD Blue are 49.

It seems that it isn't until the '00's that first-run network shows shrunk to only 45 mins, and currently reside at the 43 minute mark. Is it any wonder people want to skip them? WTH wants to spend 28% of their time watching commercials?

It higher than your figures here. http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/commerciallength.htm

What dramatic increases in advertising? All the networks are regulated as to how much advertising they can show in any given hour.
In 1985 the FCC lifted any limits on commercial time a network or TV station could use in an hour. 5 years later they capped the amount of commercial time per hour on "core children's programming" (3 hour per week) at 12 minutes per hour during the week and 10.5 minutes per hour on weekends.

So a broadcast network, if they wanted to, could air NOTHING BUT COMMERCIALS 24 hour a day every day except for 3 hours of children's programming. ION at one time aired 18 hours of commercials (paid programming) a day.

Since the commercial limits were lifted, the average number of commercials on broadcast networks went from 12 minutes an hour to 16 minutes per hour.

Cable networks show, on average 18 minutes of commercials an hour now.

Here is some food for thought. As much as I have been involved in this industry for the past 14 years, I have learned more about CNET in the past few days than ever before.

#1 Before Friday I never knew CNET was owned by CBS.

#2 I never realized that CNET was a media company that actually wrote reviews on products

#3 Even in years past when CNET gave Dish awards, I never put 2 and 2 together and thought the award was given by the CES Show. I thought CNET was some type of sponsor that got to put their logo on the awards because they contributed money or something.

#4 I thought CNET was a site where you can download free software.

I could care less about the integrity of the company, the employees who work for CNET, and all this garbage that has been posted about CNET in the past few days.

What I find funney is that Dish pretty much knew they where going to win this award even before the CES show started, and right at the last minute the CBS Executives step in and ruin it for them because they are in litigation

The fact of the matter is that im expected to know what CNET is because I have been in this industry for 14 years, yet I have really no idea what they are all about. If thats me, do you think the average consumer is going to think any different?

When you see an ad for something and see that little CNET logo next to the product, you automatically think that it must be good because someone endorsed it, but don't exactly know why.

So the whole point is that because the people on this board do actually read these reviews, this may seem like a big deal. But honestly, the average consumer doesn't know better.

Dish will get a small boost right now from the tech people who are following this story, but when it blows over in a few weeks, Dish will not have the award and can't put in their advertising as best of show.

Claude kind of shows that you still thought of TV as being different from computer. That distinction started blurring around 10 yrs ago. It is almost completely gone now. You have to be a computer tech to work in engineering in TV anymore PERIOD. To be a salesman you don't, you are on that end of the industry mostly. Will anything outside of the tech industry notice, not much so I agree with you on that part of your long winded ramble.

So Claude, in short, you are saying, "Since I didn't know about it, nor care about it, no one else cares about it or knows about it so who cares?"

I also find it funny that you have been hammering how CNET/CBS did the right thing, and in this article you admit you had no idea of the relationship of the three companies and why this is a big deal. Get over your issue with Dish and look at this from an objective POV.

Let's say Motor Trend or Car & Driver was giving out an award for the best sedan of the year, the editors of the magazine selected a particular manufacturer and model. They were ready to announce, but at the last second the magazines owners said: "We don't like that car because the manufacturer and I are in a legal battle. Pick something else." How much confidence would you have in that magazine for anything else?

CNET has been (until this week) the premier site for reviews and news on electronics and computer industry. They worked for decade to overtake PC Magazine and many other such sites and print media. This ONE action, killed all that work in the eyes of its readers. (look at the comments on the CNet web site) And I can tell you with a clear conscience that if this had happened to the DirecTV Genie, I would feel the same way.

This is an objective thing. Is this product the best new XYZ in this show? Yes, no? Legal wranglings, and irrelevant drama has nothing to do with it!

Earlier there was a comment that the amount of advertising was regulated in the shows. To my knowledge there is no such thing. It's a marketing choice. I've been retired from the TV advertising business for a couple years now but to my knowledge you can produce a TV show that is 100% 30 second spots if you want.
Exactly. That's Guthy-Renker's raison d'etre.

Whether or not anybody faults CNET is irrelevant. What has transpired leaves the integrity and neutrality of their reviews, articles, and awards in question, regardless of whether or not their editorial staff was directly involved in this debacle.

Sorry but I totally disagree with you on this. C|net is relevant in this. This has damaged my confidence in "any" review of anything by them. Now I have doubt of it being an unbiased review port. You can say ,just because of this one instance, but now I don't know if there has been other instances that never were revealed to the public on other non Dish products.

I know there are preferences by some reviewers. Some reviewers are enthralled with Apple products, it can be seen on their track record of reviews. I currently am seeing this in review comparisons of tablets. They sorta fumble around the non Apple devices whereas they zip through the Apple products they have been using for years. But after years of reading/watching reviews I can sift out what I needed to learn about a product. What I cannot sift out would be a possibility of a reviewers "boss" dictating what or how to review a product.

So do you now understand why this is relevant?

In "the true story of what happened at CNET" article that Lindsey Turrentine (Editor-in-Chief of CNET Reviews) wrote, she said, "Going forward, I will do everything within my power to prevent this situation from happening again". However, she also said, "if I had to face this dilemma again, I would not quit. I stand by my team and the years of work they have put into making CNET what it is".

What the heck is that supposed to mean? I will do everything I can to prevent this from happening, but if corporate tells me to change one of my stories, then I will just bend over and do the same thing again! That is supposed to make me feel better about this situation?

Sorry, CNET has lost all credibility and what Lindsey Turrentine said in her story only confirms exactly what everyone is complaining about.

Link to Lindsey Turrentine's CNET article:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30677_3-57563877-244/the-2013-best-of-ces-awards-cnets-story/

In "the true story of what happened at CNET" article that Lindsey Turrentine (Editor-in-Chief of CNET Reviews) wrote, she said, "Going forward, I will do everything within my power to prevent this situation from happening again". However, she also said, "if I had to face this dilemma again, I would not quit. I stand by my team and the years of work they have put into making CNET what it is".
She is basically saying, "Thank you sir may I have another."

That's the way I read it.

Sorry, CNET has lost all credibility and what Lindsey Turrentine said in her story only confirms exactly what everyone is complaining about.

Link to Lindsey Turrentine's CNET article:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30677_3-57563877-244/the-2013-best-of-ces-awards-cnets-story/
I think you misunderstood the second part of what you quoted. Nowhere does she say she would bend over and do the same thing. She is saying that no matter how tough it gets, she will not jump ship and abandon her team. I find it admirable.

Hummm...
Dish is the clear winner and CBS is the loser in this one.

If they won the award, It would have looked pretty on the shelf, but probably wouldn't have generated much buzz.
The longer the story goes on, the more good publicity for Dish and bad for CBS.

I suspect that some will pause long enough to listen to the ads and realize that there is a box that will skip commericals. That will generate business.

People like to root for the underdog. Ya' can't pay for advertising like this!

This is exactly what I'm thinking. This a win/win for Dish no matter how you look at it. Not a smart move by CBS and I kind of enjoy it. Never really been a big fan of CBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)