Senior CNET Writer Resigns Over Dish Controversy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They're more than simply embarrassed. Their credibility is now in question; their words devalued. At least one writer had the integrity to leave, but I can well imagine in this economy many more would like to, but can't. Yet.

what huge amount of integrity do you need to make an iphone review? that's the real take away message from the article. They cover gadgets, make product reviews, and collect paychecks. The general public doesn't really care as long as CNET keeps pumping out reviews. Only people who seem to really care are those that follow Dish.

It's not like I ever took the CES awards seriously. They are largely for the manufacturers of the products to stick on their webpages and brag that they won something.

The article talks about how when publications like this start out, they are mostly mouthpieces for the public relations departments and as time goes by the publication can become more and more objective. I agree with that. But what is missing is the public reliance and expectation of objectivity. CNet didn't put out its first article and automatically have any weight. As mentioned by some in this (or the original) thread, at first CNet was nothing more than a site to get your freeware and shareware. The articles at first were not seen as anything special, and at least I would always go to other sites or print media to get the "real" lo-down. It took over a decade before CNet was considered a serious electronics and computing news site. It took quite some time for CNet break the wall from being only a portal to software to becoming an industry giant which was relied upon for objective reviews and news.

Will this blow over? Yes. It will. It will blow over pretty fast too. But what happened last week will leave a scar. It will be ugly and no one who experienced the events this week will be able to look at CNet without seeing that scar and being reminded what caused it. In much the same way as The New Republic never completely recovered from the Stephen Glass disaster, CNet may find it difficult to recover from this one action.

But it was not just a CNET award, it was the award selected best at CES on the behalf of the CEA. (Consumer Electronics Association)
re-read your quote... my comment still stands ;)

The awards are there to pat the manufacturers on the back and put it on ads. Bragging rights basically....

Last edited:
I did read it, I just think to be selected the CEA's top pick at the CES show is quite an honor, and I feel that DISH was ripped off of this honor by CNET/CBS.

I would feel the same way if it were a DIRECTV or another product had this happen to them as well.

By doing what they did it brings up the question about the integrity of CBS shows such as Survivor, Big Brother and The Amazing Race, if the suits don't like the winner have they picked another? and how many times have they done things like this only to be caught this time?

Integrity of reality shows? Really? No.... the question isn't about this or even game shows. It is deeper than that. It comes down to what stories CBS execs allow CBS News to pursue. I think of 60 Minutes and what stories corporate may prevent them from running. To me it is deeper than just entertainment shows.

Integrity of reality shows? Really? No.... the question isn't about this or even game shows. It is deeper than that. It comes down to what stories CBS execs allow CBS News to pursue. I think of 60 Minutes and what stories corporate may prevent them from running. To me it is deeper than just entertainment shows.

Lol I don't think "reality show" and "integrity" are allowed to be used in the same sentence..

And I know politics isn't allowed but it is relevant to the discussion and this is as far as I will go with it.. Since we are talking about bias, even Helen Keller could see that CBS loves Obama with the tongue bathing they gave his nads during the election. So no, this was definitely not the only thing they have an agenda on.

what huge amount of integrity do you need to make an iphone review?
The kind of integrity that says they aren't corporate shills instructed by higher ups on how or what to review.

"Only people who seem to really care are those that follow Dish." ...and those that follow CNET and used to trust them for objective reviews of many types of technology products.

and those that follow CNET and used to used to trust them for objective reviews of many types of technology products.
I'm not seeing any sort of huge uproar among cnet readers... mostly Dish customers on this site...

They're more than simply embarrassed. Their credibility is now in question; their words devalued. At least one writer had the integrity to leave, but I can well imagine in this economy many more would like to, but can't. Yet.
I'm sure there are many who are actively searching, and began searching the moment they learned of the corporate edict from their editors.

I'm sure there are many who are actively searching, and began searching the moment they learned of the corporate edict from their editors.
This seems to be the case, I have been in contact with two who claim to write for CNET who are now looking for a new place to go. When they find one they tell me they are also jumping ship. (And no I am not naming names.)

These people have a family to take care of, just quiting without having someplace else to go is a hard thing to do.

Wrong. There are a surprising number of articles popping up about this. I'm surprised, anyway. It really has blown up bigger than most non-dishies would have imagined.
i'm quite right actually. there's no huge uproar among cnet readers. There might be a modest uproar among other news organizations/blogs and reporters at those organizations that raise some sort of ethics issues. The general public or even CNET readers don't care. They're just looking for reviews on the iphone or whatever new gadget comes along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)