Separate "HD" Forum(s) pointless now

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I'm referring to the Dish Network Forums, but I suppose the same principle applies wherever.

There is no longer any new SD receivers or SD channels. (Yes, I expect to see an MPEG4 version of the 625 and 322 receivers, but that will be more for EchoStar's bandwidth savings rather than any new features.)

I would be surprised to find any new non-international SD channels added other than the last handful of locals (Setanta is really an international channel, since it shows only events that occur outside the USA).

Currently, all three Dish Network Forums have equal number of posts about the "622" - all of which (in theory) should be in the HD Forum.

Today, two HD news sticky threads were moved to the HD Forum - but two other HD news sticky threads were left in the General Dish Network Forum.

So what? The current setup simply means that one has to read three different Forums for the same sort of threads.

I think a lot of duplication and wasted effort would be saved by simply collapsing all 3 Forums to one "Dish Network Forum".

I gave up regular reading of the Dish departments last year, due to people posting in the wrong area.
What kStuart proposes sounds like an improvement to me. :cool:

I said that a long time ago. But no one agreed with me. :)

So, what is preventing this from happening ?

As of today, there is absolutely no difference between the content of the 3 Dish Network Forums, and you can see from other people's comments that it has a negative impact overall to have more than one.

Thanks!

PS If they could all be merged together this weekend, before the Tech Forum and the big changes Wednesday, that would be awesome, hint hint ;)

I just keep refreshing the home page looking for new posts. I used to go into the Dish Network forum before but with the three different forums it's hard to keep track of things.

My suggestion is for..

a Dish Network Area

and a

Dish Network Advanced Help Forum

I am sure Dish Network would love the Advanced Help Forum so they can spot problem and help users as neeed easier.

My suggestion is for..

a Dish Network Area

and a

I am sure Dish Network would love the Advanced Help Forum so they can spot problem and help users as neeed easier.

That sounds good to me but I remember that people wanted the HD Discussions forum just to look for posts about HD.

Sounds good. There's got to be some way of breaking it up so the forums are more manageable.

No one talks about SD channels anymore, all the talk is HD... And HD is going to keep on going and going....

(And everyone who talks about HD never posts their HD posts in the HD area) :D

...and a

I'm warning you, I'll keep the mods busy. :) If I see a post in the "advanced" section asking why their local channels aren't in the guide after their system's been installed hours ago... you know those type, they really don't qualify as "advanced", I'll use the "Report post" function to ask that they be moved.

I'm warning you, I'll keep the mods busy. :) If I see a post in the "advanced" section asking why their local channels aren't in the guide after their system's been installed hours ago... you know those type, they really don't qualify as "advanced", I'll use the "Report post" function to ask that they be moved.

We are sure you will. You are the Hall monitor. :eek:

like others i use the control panel to view the forums i have subscribed to and view new posts, so frankly how you organize is not a big deal for me. My concern with advanced, is who is the judge, you will need to be clear about when a loss of signal is and is not advanced for example and if the goal is to grow membership, shaming or attacking someone because their issue is not advanced may put some off posting at all.
my 2 cents
My vote is one large forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)