Separate Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.
B

badboo71

May 14, 2004
I have such an incredibly small line of sight, I cannot pick up local channels on my sat. Does anyone know if I can set up another dish to tune in the local channels satellite(I forgot which satellite that is), and then connect the two dishes through a multi-switch? Has anyone ever tried that? In theory it seems like it would work. I currently have a triple lnb oval dish and have access to another oval as well as an 18" round dish. I currently only have directv/tivo dual receiver hooked up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
where are your locals?
119 or 72.5?

72.5 needs a different dish anyways, so I'm assuming 119

yes, it can be done

B

badboo71

May 14, 2004
I live in the Norfolk, Virginia area. I'm pretty sure locals are on 119 in my area. Any procedures on how to do it and any equipment recommendations?

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
how many receivers do you have?

All you need is a 4x4, 4x6, etc multiswitch. The number after the x is the outputs.

B

badboo71

May 14, 2004
I have directv/tivo dual receiver in my living room and a regular receiver on another tv. So 3 connections currently.

Mike500

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Your locals ARE on 119.

I'm in South Carolina, but I do a lot of business in your area for the military and government. I've help many dbs people in your area.

With a separate dish for 119, you cannot and should not use a Phase III lnb. Your best bet would be two round dishes with two dual lnb's.

The switch can be as simple as two 22 Mhz tone switches, a 2x4 switch or a 4x8 switch.

I have the switches, if you want to do it yourself. If you don't need it done soon, I will be in your area in late February or early March.

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Thought about this a little more.

If you don’t have HD, you can do it with 2 dishes. You would need a regular dual LNB for the Phase III (it has a switch built in that screws this up) and a 2nd dish with dual LNB.

Use the first diagram and you should be OK

B

badboo71

May 14, 2004
Thank's guys. You have given me some options to explore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.