Seperator question Please help!!!

phillycreamboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I recently installed my 622 myself(replaced a 625). I have a Dish 1000. Before the install I was having problems getting the 129 sat to read ok during check switch on sat input 2.
After installing the 622 the initial check switch was all ok (110,119,129)both inputs. Soon after installing some of the VOOM channels went dark. So I called DISH and they ran me through several test over the phone and said that the seperator was maybe bad since input 1 was 110-ok 119-ok 129-X and input 2 was 110-ok 119-ok 129-ok.
So they placed a work order. Well after talking to them I replaced the seperator that (the input 1 input 2 seperator closest to the receiver) with a new one that shipped with the 622. After taking a really long time to aquire signal everything now reads OK.

Should I still have DISH come out or is my problem solved? Or luck? Do these seperators go bad? My signal strength for 129 is 60. Any suggestions??? Im in the SF bay area.

yeah, i have had quite a few seperators start acting up after being installed a little while... and normally they do just what you described. they just loose one or two of the satellite locations, on one side of the seperator.
I would cancel the work order, i would think your problem was the seperator...

I decided to keep the appointment and DISH came out today. First the tech was really nice and came in a noticed that one one the cables going into the input was bent. To aviod having the seperator going into the cabinet he made special length cable so only the cables would be inside my entertainment system.
After replacing everything still 120 reception error.
He went outside, peak the dish and now both inputs are 129-X reception error.
He installed a new "eye" and now everything is working properly. My signal is from 69-71% on sat 129.
He said that a lot of people have this problem with 129 and the weak signal and that they have told DISH but they said not enough people have complained about it, but they know about it.

You are not properly grounded. these problems will continue to occur untill your cables are properly bonded back to the main common ground at your electrical service disconect.
trust me.

ITK said:
You are not properly grounded. these problems will continue to occur untill your cables are properly bonded back to the main common ground at your electrical service disconect.
trust me.
Grounding has no effect on performance of the system (except possibly Caller ID)

Widescreen said:
My dishes and cables aren't grounded at all and I've never experienced this kind of a problem.

Same here. I have had my system for the last 6 years and no problems.

Even the dish "Professional" installers that set up my 622 and the d1000 didn't bother to ground the system, so I guess it isn't a major concern to Southern California installers.

KenSoren said:

Even the dish "Professional" installers that set up my 622 and the d1000 didn't bother to ground the system, so I guess it isn't a major concern to Southern California installers.

Guess homes only catch fire in Minnesota if it's not grounded? :p

Proper grounding provides some lightening protection as it drains off the potential electrical difference from the dish to the ground, but if you get a lightening strike, thet little copper wire is of virtually no use for dispersing the millions ov volts that were able to jump hundreds of feet through the air.

IMHO this is mostly a red herring, something to keep the bureaucrats busy.

Lightning - what is that? This is Southern California and it rarely rains more less have lightning storms.

Just kidding - we do get a couple of boomer storms a year and sometimes they actually produce some rain. Normally they develope over us and then blow out to the high desert. If one does stay over us the lightening usually strikes the surrounding mountains, so that is not a concern to me.

If the absence of grounding does not affect the equipement or it's performance then I can live with it.

I have been experiencing some issues this past day with my Dish1000 system. Two dual tuner receivers that I had connected to it were not working. I connected them up to my Dish500 with DP twin, DP-34, wire to DP dual 129 lnbf on the Dish1000 so that I could get my channels back until I had time this evening to try to figure the issue out. I went to the 522 to try to figure out what the issue was. I notice the 118 satellite by the way. The dang thing locked up when it said searching for more satellites. It would not get off of that. I rebooted the receiver and it seemed to pickup the channels normally after that. Seems buggy to me. No issues when no seperator is used.

No I used the seperators with the DPP twin Dish500 that I had. I got everything switched over to the Dish500 with DP twin and Dish300 with DP dual connected to a DP-34 switch and everything is running just fine now. I know that the seperators cannot be used on a DP twin or DP-34 switch.

ITK said:
trust me.
once in a blue moon grounding wil have an adverse effect on performance..But it is rare..Can't hurt to check..I don't think that's the issue..

KenSoren said:

Unreal...we are required to ground all installs..Period..no exceptions...

I am a dish installer and u need to ground your system. i've been on tc's that wern't grounded, only getting one sat. when i grounded the sys everything came back ok. grounding the dish takes away static electricy, if se builds up it can fry your lnb or reciver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts