what is the DVR fee for?????

kenroj

Original poster
May 25, 2006
hi, new to this fourm, i have a 942 dvr and disk says I have to upgrade to the new 622 to get their new HD package. If i do upgrade, i'm hit with a leasing fee which i'm not paying right now , because i own the receiver. My question is a lease fee and dvr fee for this receiver will be $13.00 plus i don't have a clue what the dvr fee is for, no one at dish can tell me what the charge is for i'll they keep saying it to use your DVR. Isn't that the function of the receiver?

thanks

ken

they charge you for this feature, trust me once you start leasing there is a bunch of little charges that add up over time, right now for me its this, 5.0 additonal reciever fee, 6.0 lease fee, 5 programming fee, all for one reciever, a new 411, count it up that is 16 bucks a month, makes me wish I didnt have HD, its not worth an extra 36 a month! but yes you will have a DVr fee for that reciever

Well, what happens is they pay grandmothers $22 an hour to rework the firmware of the box. They then send that mangled code to our box, and wait for us to complain about how it doesn't work anymore. Then they pay someone else who's got an average about of programming skill $35 an hour to fix what my grandmother screwed up. Then they send that code to us and we're happy even though we have gained no new features and are now out of tylenol.

That explains the fee...

It's an IQ test, if you pay you flunked.
If you pay & complain, it determines your political leanings.
If you wonder why it's so low, you are a shareholder.
If you don't pay, complain anyway, and are never happy........you are my boss!

sojourn said:
It's an IQ test, if you pay you flunked.
If you pay & complain, it determines your political leanings.
If you wonder why it's so low, you are a shareholder.
If you don't pay, complain anyway, and are never happy........you are my boss!

Welcome to satguys!

thanks for the comeback guy's but i still wondering what the DVR fee is for. i have a big problem paying for something that i can't get a answer on. all they'll say at dish is its for the uses of the dvr receiver and i keep telling them that the dvr function is built into the receiver and we go around and around.

ken

Yup, but the answers given on here, even the ones being sarcastic, are basically on. Most people have a problem with it, but what can we do. The "service fee" was basically I think is just a trend started by tivo, that dish and everyone else follows, there really is no monthly justification for it. But I can't think of any company that doesn't charge for it...

Maybe if they hid the fee in the receiver mirror/lease fee it would make people feel better, but probably not since then those getting it waived in AEP would no longer see the effect

Yep, the DVR fee is just a "for your convenience fee"

Dish had it all over Direct when their first dvr's (501, 508) had no dvr fee.
What an advantage they had. But, they got greedy, and we pay the dvr fee =
(some do, I don't for my 501) . But that will soon change when I buy my 622.
I refuse to pay a lease fee.

fred

unfortunately no way to get HD with a 501 or 508.

If you don't want HD, the 721 is a good option too.

It is like the extra $1 they charge you for MPEG-4 receivers... Extra 622/411/211s cost $6/month instead of $5. You buy the box but they still manage to tack on an extra fee.

Quite simply it is "because they can". No real expenses to offset. Just additional revenue, which allows them to advertise nice low package rates.

Fredinva said:
Yep, the DVR fee is just a "for your convenience fee"

What an advantage they had. But, they got greedy, and we pay the dvr fee =
(some do, I don't for my 501) . But that will soon change when I buy my 622.
I refuse to pay a lease fee.

fred

DISH had DVRs before the 501.

Fredinva said:

The first DVR was the 7100, and it had a $10 a month fee! After I had it a few months, they came out with a "lifetime" fee- I think it was $99, but the "lifetime" turned out to be 3 years. By the time the 3 years was up, there were so few left in service, they gave up and just activated it for everyone.

I've still not gotten a straight answer for this...is there a lease fee if you ONLY have a 622? With the price drop, I'm thinking about just buying. And if there is a lease fee no matter what, I might as well buy a 622, well throw the 942 in my office or bedroom and pay the extra receiver fee.

BFG said:
The "service fee" was basically I think is just a trend started by tivo, that dish and everyone else follows, there really is no monthly justification for it.

Yeah, but TIVO had to actually produce an ongoing product- the program guide. At least there was a reason for it, whether or not it was worth $10 a month. A TIVO without an EPG might as well be disabled.

DISH has to provide EPG data with or without DVRs, which is why it's hard to swallow. I think it's really just a scheme to keep people on the highest packages. I considered dropping some movies channels recently, but I would have had to pay a DVR fee that would have wiped out most or all of the savings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts