This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Serial Control of FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lazyone

Original poster
May 12, 2006
I am considering purchasing an FTA receiver. I was wondering if any FTA receiver can be controlled via it's serial port from a PC. I would want to be able to change channels and possibly satellites (if that is required). I want to use this in a home automation setup.

Thanks,
lz

Thanks for the response. I did think of that, but was hoping to find a STB that was able to be controlled by the serial port.

I have never seen a receiver that can be controlled via serial port, sorry.

Lots of commerical type receivers can be controlled by serial port but generally consumer type recievers cannot be. Having said that, I do not recommend you purchase a commercial receiver as they are very expensive, lack the features you would expect a STB to have, and are not very user freindly.

One alternative that comes to mind is a device which could connect to a PC and transmit IR remote codes to a receiver. I know devices such as this exist and if you must have computer control of a STB this is likely your best option. Unfortunately I can't make any more specifc recommendations as I've never used any of these devices.

FTA receiver is more user friendly. I don't believe that DVB cards can "blind search" (which I hope someone will correct me on before I buy my card )

Beside the one or two "very" expensive receivers, DVB cards are your only other choices for HDTV and 4:2:2 feeds.

The cards will also be dependant on what type of PC you've got (i.e CPU, MEM, video card, O/S, etc).

Still researching myself

Me, I'm speaking for just me. I prefer a STB, but I've never had a PC DVB-S Card. I'm sure they're fine devices, they are certainly less expensive. To each his own, I prefer the STB. You might try reading in the Free to Air PC DVB Discussion Forum for some more info, it's a subforum of this forum.

Al

Thanks for all of the input and discussion. I will probably just end up controlling the STB via IR with the PC. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Was just hoping to find a STB with serial control. DVB-S card sounds interesting, but not what I'm looking for at this time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.