Serial Control of FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lazyone

Original poster
May 12, 2006
I am considering purchasing an FTA receiver. I was wondering if any FTA receiver can be controlled via it's serial port from a PC. I would want to be able to change channels and possibly satellites (if that is required). I want to use this in a home automation setup.

Thanks,
lz

Thanks for the response. I did think of that, but was hoping to find a STB that was able to be controlled by the serial port.

I have never seen a receiver that can be controlled via serial port, sorry.

Lots of commerical type receivers can be controlled by serial port but generally consumer type recievers cannot be. Having said that, I do not recommend you purchase a commercial receiver as they are very expensive, lack the features you would expect a STB to have, and are not very user freindly.

One alternative that comes to mind is a device which could connect to a PC and transmit IR remote codes to a receiver. I know devices such as this exist and if you must have computer control of a STB this is likely your best option. Unfortunately I can't make any more specifc recommendations as I've never used any of these devices.

FTA receiver is more user friendly. I don't believe that DVB cards can "blind search" (which I hope someone will correct me on before I buy my card :) )

Beside the one or two "very" expensive receivers, DVB cards are your only other choices for HDTV and 4:2:2 feeds.

The cards will also be dependant on what type of PC you've got (i.e CPU, MEM, video card, O/S, etc).

Still researching myself :)

Me, I'm speaking for just me. I prefer a STB, but I've never had a PC DVB-S Card. I'm sure they're fine devices, they are certainly less expensive. To each his own, I prefer the STB. You might try reading in the Free to Air PC DVB Discussion Forum for some more info, it's a subforum of this forum.

Al

Thanks for all of the input and discussion. I will probably just end up controlling the STB via IR with the PC. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Was just hoping to find a STB with serial control. DVB-S card sounds interesting, but not what I'm looking for at this time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)