Service call today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
So I hope my ongoing issue (2 years) with freezing/pixelating/dropped connections on the Wireless Joeys will be a thing of the past. Had a service call for this issue today. The tech was great, asked a few questions. I mentioned that while the problem on the Wireless Joey has been ongoing, I wasn't sure the problem was not with the Wireless Access Point. I told him I had swapped the WJ with one from another bedroom and the problem had remained. He agreed that the problem was most likely the WAP, as he had just come from another call and had replaced the WAP for that customer as well. He replaced the WAP with a newer version (looks just like the Joey with curved sides, old one was boxier with vertical sides) and said the newer one was more reliable (hopefully). So we shall see, hope it works, getting tired of defending dish to the wife when she is pissed off and wants to switch to cable.

So I hope my ongoing issue (2 years) with freezing/pixelating/dropped connections on the Wireless Joeys will be a thing of the past. Had a service call for this issue today. The tech was great, asked a few questions. I mentioned that while the problem on the Wireless Joey has been ongoing, I wasn't sure the problem was not with the Wireless Access Point. I told him I had swapped the WJ with one from another bedroom and the problem had remained. He agreed that the problem was most likely the WAP, as he had just come from another call and had replaced the WAP for that customer as well. He replaced the WAP with a newer version (looks just like the Joey with curved sides, old one was boxier with vertical sides) and said the newer one was more reliable (hopefully). So we shall see, hope it works, getting tired of defending dish to the wife when she is pissed off and wants to switch to cable.

Just tell her you make the rules not her. Unrelated to that, question, how fast can you run? :)

When I upgraded my HWS to an H3 and added 2 wireless Joeys last fall, all the tech had was an older version of the WAP. I expected issues at some point because of that, but so far, so good (KOW).

I know I'm probably tempting fate by posting this.....

When I upgraded my HWS to an H3 and added 2 wireless Joeys last fall, all the tech had was an older version of the WAP. I expected issues at some point because of that, but so far, so good (KOW).

I know I'm probably tempting fate by posting this.....

Good luck, they installed my HWS and WJ's/WAP 2 years ago and I have been having issues ever since. I didn't even know there was an updated version, and every time I asked about replacing the WAP they told me "we never have issues with those, the problem is most likely..."

The slimmer WAP with the straighter sides is actually the newer version, but either way, you should be good. I, personally, think the older ones were better.

31uD5gpd3KL.jpg

This is the WAP 1 or "older version"

Reactions: charlesrshell
The slimmer WAP with the straighter sides is actually the newer version, but either way, you should be good. I, personally, think the older ones were better.

31uD5gpd3KL.jpg

This is the WAP 1 or "older version"

Interesting. Noticed that the WJ was REALLY laggy and slow last night (worse than before the snap was installed) after the service call yesterday. This morning I did a powercord reset on the Hopper in the hopes that it will help. I don't know if that should just automatically be done when new equipment is introduced into the system. Saw a couple of "Starting Up 9999" messages and one "Please wait, refresh in progress" last night but if I waited it would go back to the program and not completely unlink from the hopper. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better.

Dear old aunt and uncle have that one, and NO PROBLEMS EVER!

Well, I did notice that the signal strength with the replacement WAP dropped by about 10 (original was 60-70, replacement is now 48-59ish) and the problem got WORSE after they replaced the WAP. The controls are now much slower/laggier than they were. If you hit the 30sec skip button sometimes you have to wait 10-20 seconds or more for it to actually skip, and this is with a snap installed on the HWS.

I scheduled another service call for next weekend as this replacement of the WAP clearly did not fix it and made it somewhat worse. Still occasionally seeing freezing/pixelization and the "Starting up 9999" and "Please wait, refresh in progress" messages on the WJ in the upstairs master bedroom. They need to make the issues go away completely, the wife is on her last straw. I made a video recording of what it was doing Sunday morning so I can show the tech, as it is intermittent and will not do it when you want it to. This is getting SO frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Well, I did notice that the signal strength with the replacement WAP dropped by about 10 (original was 60-70, replacement is now 48-59ish) and the problem got WORSE after they replaced the WAP. The controls are now much slower/laggier than they were. If you hit the 30sec skip button sometimes you have to wait 10-20 seconds or more for it to actually skip, and this is with a snap installed on the HWS.

I scheduled another service call for next weekend as this replacement of the WAP clearly did not fix it and made it somewhat worse. Still occasionally seeing freezing/pixelization and the "Starting up 9999" and "Please wait, refresh in progress" messages on the WJ in the upstairs master bedroom. They need to make the issues go away completely, the wife is on her last straw. I made a video recording of what it was doing Sunday morning so I can show the tech, as it is intermittent and will not do it when you want it to. This is getting SO frustrating.
You might remember that a HIC will fix your issue from past posts. Have your tech install that on the bedroom coax that is on the other side of the room.

You might remember that a HIC will fix your issue from past posts. Have your tech install that on the bedroom coax that is on the other side of the room.

I am not sure that the satellite system is connected to the coax that runs through the house, the tech will have to check that. One of the coax outlets in the living room is for the internet from the cable company, they may all be cable/internet outlets. Just because the outlets are there they are not necessarily connected to the satellite dish.

Reactions: pattykay
I am not sure that the satellite system is connected to the coax that runs through the house, the tech will have to check that. One of the coax outlets in the living room is for the internet from the cable company, they may all be cable/internet outlets. Just because the outlets are there they are not necessarily connected to the satellite dish.
Generally when a home is built the electrician will homerun every coax to a central meeting point. That point will be somewhere near where the cable TV feed enters the building. It's as simple as connecting or disconnecting an individual coax from a splitter and moving that coax over to the DISH hub. You tech will know what to do.

Generally when a home is built the electrician will homerun every coax to a central meeting point. That point will be somewhere near where the cable TV feed enters the building. It's as simple as connecting or disconnecting an individual coax from a splitter and moving that coax over to the DISH hub. You tech will know what to do.

i am sure the tech will be able to sort it out.

Sigh, it seems this is one those OLDER models better than the new models. Good Grief! Do they all cheap out (try to save too much money) on newer models? Sometimes it can also be a bad supplier of a critical part, but often at a cost savings to the previous models.

Reactions: pattykay

Sorry for your experience. Ironically, dear old aunt and uncle's Wireless Joey has always been faster/snappier than the Joey 1.0 they have in another room from day ONE. The Wireless Joey can be such a great solution, so I am really sorry it is giving heartache. I hope it all works out.

Sorry for your experience. Ironically, dear old aunt and uncle's Wireless Joey has always been faster/snappier than the Joey 1.0 they have in another room from day ONE. The Wireless Joey can be such a great solution, so I am really sorry it is giving heartache. I hope it all works out.
They did eventually fix the issue by running a coax cable in the wall in the master bedroom and replacing the wireless joey with a joey 3. I agree that the wireless joey is a great solution to some situations. Unfortunately for whatever reason (going through too many floor joists/walls) it didn't work in the master bedroom. They did a good job of getting a coax outlet where it needed to be to fix the problem so I am thankful for that. Even though the house was built 6 years ago, it was NOT prewired. The dish wiring comes in through the garage wall and then they ran coax through the attic with 1 drop in the living room. I was a little surprised for it being a 200k house, they cut a LOT of corners on the build, more profit for the contractor that way I guess.

Anyway, dish made it right and everything works great now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)