Service Fee for Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cactus Jack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
USA
This may have been discussed already, but I couldn't find it. Why is there a service fee to use a (purchased) Joey?

This may have been discussed already, but I couldn't find it. Why is there a service fee to use a (purchased) Joey?
Since it is purchased, you could activate it and deactivate it as often as you want, in order to avoid that fee. So, for example, just activate the Joey in the morning, and then deactivate it later that day when you are done using it. The prorated credit for removing it completely offsets the prorated charge for adding it. Repeat the process every day that you want to use the Joey. I do this all the time, with a rarely-used purchased ViP211k.

That's an interesting technique!

The reason I'm asking is, typically a subscription service charges extra because content providers charge fees partly based on how many viewers are expected. However, you can use the Dish Anywhere app to watch while someone else is watching something different on the main receiver. If fact, I saw an ad that said as many as five devices at once are permitted. Seems that is similar to using a Joey, but there is no additional fee charged.

Reactions: pattykay
...If fact, I saw an ad that said as many as five devices at once are permitted. Seems that is similar to using a Joey, but there is no additional fee charged.

You can have five devices, but you can only watch something on one of them at a time, unless I missed a big change...

"You can have five devices, but you can only watch something on one of them at a time" (I can't seem to get the Quote feature to work.)
This makes sense, but why then limit the number of devices you can install the app on? Still, it's like having a single Joey, without the extra fee.

Each Hopper can upload ONE (1) DishAnywhere (DA) hopper stream (live channel or dvr).
Number of Joeys connected or watching do not affect DA.
Also not counted for DA feeds are Dish streamed programs on DA that are coming from Dish servers (ppv, other non-live, non-dvr content) instead of hopper upload.
You can have five devices, but you can only watch something on one of them at a time, unless I missed a big change...

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well I'll be darned! I just discovered that I can install Dish Anywhere on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. I think this will work as well as a Joey for my needs, and no fee!

Yup; when I discovered that, I bought a FireTV Stick for the first time. I have subsequently bought 6 more (7 in total), 4 of which remain with my family. Just note that you only get one simultaneous stream/Hoppper. :(

Reactions: charlesrshell
...(I can't seem to get the Quote feature to work.)...
Just click the Reply button, and it automatically puts that entire post in a Quote box. Then, you can edit the text inside the Quote box (like I did to the quote from your post) if you only want to quote part of the post. This is the method I use, and I never use the Quote button. Just be sure that you do not accidentally delete any of the brackets [ ] since doing so would break the Quote box, making the post harder to read.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Just click the Reply button, and it automatically puts that entire post in a Quote box. Then, you can edit the text inside the Quote box (like I did to the quote from your post) if you only want to quote part of the post. This is the method I use, and I never use the Quote button. Just be sure that you do not accidentally delete any of the brackets [ ] since doing so would break the Quote box, making the post harder to read.
Thanks, crodrules!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)