service in Canada

brotherhood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
97w/55n
hi all
is dishnet ever going to add service in canada?
i like my expressvu but sure would love dishnet and all its soccer ,international channels.
thanks

When is Canadian law going to change allowing non Canadian companies to use Canadian airspace.

When?

Never!

Reason #1 must have "Canadian" content
Reason #2 end users must pay GST/PST and "save the local TV" tax
Reason #0 Bell/Rogers is enough to imitate market competition plus this is the way to keep prices as high as possible.

Yup, ivbuhalo pretty much summed it up. It will not happen for sure in our lifetime.

Why would Dish or Directv want to change their marketing to CRTC controlled Canadian standards?

Also Canadian TV networks purchase the Canadian rights to TV shows to show and distribute in Canada, if Dish Network & Directv operated in Canada, they would not be able to show any US TV channels that shows the same programming that a Canadian network has rights to in Canada. SimSub is not an option that US satellite providers are interested in for a market that is smaller than the state of California.

Only way it would ever happen is if USA and Canada merge into one country, not likely in our lifetime.

The above is correct.

Long ago, when DirecTV first started (called DSS then), DirecTV and the Power Corporation of Canada (a Canadian mega-corporation with politcal ties to everybody) had a joint liscense to serve Canada. The system would have worked something like XM does today in the terms that there would be channels that Canadian subscribers would not get, channels that US subscribers would not get and a core of channels that both got.

After listening to the CRTC's conditions relative to sim-sub and Canadian content, they passed and let the liscense expire.

I always thought that DISH should offer a Canadian TV package in their international pack. Maybe with CBC, CTV, Global, CityTV and TSN or Sportsnet in such a package.

Since these channels carry US content from the major networks, there would need to be some blackout work to be done, but with all the Canadians living amongst us (including 1 in my house ;)) it might have some customer appeal in the US.

I always thought that DISH should offer a Canadian TV package in their international pack. Maybe with CBC, CTV, Global, CityTV and TSN or Sportsnet in such a package.

And Showcase and Comedy.... Though Showcase doesn't matter so much since Trailer Park Boys are gone.. :)

I do like the idea though.

The satellites are not actually over the US or Canada. so there is no need to allow use of Canadian airspace.

Since these channels carry US content from the major networks, there would need to be some blackout work to be done, but with all the Canadians living amongst us (including 1 in my house ;)) it might have some customer appeal in the US.

I agree completely. Maybe toss in some European English channels, too.

All Canadian & most International local tv networks have programming originating from the USA one way or another, and all have exclusive rights for them to their domain, this is just a waste of bandwidth and discussion of Dish or Directv operating in Canada or anywhere else in the world but the USA and territory.

Correct. Canadian channels buy Canadian rights to programming. English Canada is 1/11th the size of the US. So everything else being equal, these would pay 1/11th the price. If the content is already sold to a US network, or not, it cannot be shown in the USA without paying for it.

There is a lot of stuff, though, that only originates in Canada, and is not shown in the US.

Hey, programmers, here is an idea: Start a "Canada" channel and start licencing Canadian content.

I have been asking Dish, Directv, Bell TV, the CBC, and CTV for YEARS about putting Canadian channels on the satellite systems here in the states that they can. I've never gotten a good answer from any of them. I don't understand why the cable, satellite, and telco companies don't see the potential revenue from them for us Canadians that live here in the states.

:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)